0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

SP2's or JBL MRX series

jluv

I have recently purchased a set of new Peavey SP-2's and am not entirely pleased with the sound. I am considering swapping them for JBL MRX series (1x15) speaker. Any thoughts? My primary complaint with the SPs is they are very directional with very harsh sounding horns. I am currently running a PV 3800 amp to power them. Thanks
Jeff
November 26, 2008 @06:18pm
DAS

The Peavey horns are rated with a 90 x 40 degree dispersion pattern, while the MRX speakers have a "nominal" 70 x 70 degree coverage pattern. Seems like the JBL's would be more directional in the horizontal (side to side) plane, while they would be less so in the vertical (front to back) plane.
November 26, 2008 @06:46pm
jluv

That would explain the directional horn issue...anyone out there using the MRX series speakers? How do they sound? They are rated at less power than the SP-2's, but I don't need any more volume, just better sound.
November 27, 2008 @06:49pm
exclibr

Gotta say I love my SP-2s. I had the harsh sounding horn issue, but I seemed to solve it by bi-amping them and setting the crossover point a little higher. I have nothing concrete to base this on, but it seems to me the horns don't handle the frequencies just above the built-in crossover point very well.
November 28, 2008 @04:26am
Dave Burris

Gotta say I love my SP-2s. I had the harsh sounding horn issue, but I seemed to solve it by bi-amping them and setting the crossover point a little higher. I have nothing concrete to base this on, but it seems to me the horns don't handle the frequencies just above the built-in crossover point very well.

Very common problem with less expensive horns. I rarely crossover as low as the ratings. Better safety margin going a little higher.
November 28, 2008 @04:20pm
jluv

Dave and Excalbr,
Where do you set your crossover point? What amp combination do you use? Anyone try the PV 1600 made for that? I have a three way crossover, just always ran it in stereo...Thanks. Still looking for any feedback on the JBL MRX series.
November 29, 2008 @12:57pm
Dave Burris

Dave and Excalbr,
Where do you set your crossover point? What amp combination do you use? Anyone try the PV 1600 made for that? I have a three way crossover, just always ran it in stereo...Thanks. Still looking for any feedback on the JBL MRX series.

I don't own either of the speakers in question. My biggest system uses the JBL 2445J compression drivers. They are rated to crossover as low as 500Hz but are rated for 100W continuous "program" at 500Hz and 150W continuous at 1K. I cross them around 1200Hz.
November 29, 2008 @03:35pm
exclibr

The built-in crossover on the SP-2 is set at about 1800 hz. I set mine at about 1950 - 2000 hz and it seems to work. Try setting it with some music with lots of bras instruments in it. My favorite to set it is Blood, Sweat and Tears (showing my age, I know), but it serves the purpose. The brass sounds will reveal any harshness first.
November 29, 2008 @10:28pm
exclibr

By the way, I use a CS-800 for the lows (I know, a little underpowered, but not by much) and a CS-400 for the horns ( probably a little more than necessary, seeing as the horns on SP-2s are only rated at 60 watts continuous).
November 29, 2008 @10:34pm
exclibr

One more thing...if you're on the road a lot, stick with the SP-2s.... it takes anawful lot to hurt one of them. The JBLs don't handle abuse as well (IMHO)
November 29, 2008 @10:38pm
jluv

Thanks for the advice...I will probably try the EQ a bit before I switch to bi-amping. I have enough amps and channels to bi-amp...probably overdo the horns a bit as the smallest amp I have is a PV 1500, but I could turn the output down on the crossover. The SP-2s sound pretty good now, just always looking to improve! They sound better at a bit of a distance, however, a lot of the venues we play at are right up close. Thanks again.
Jeff
November 30, 2008 @01:51am
Krynos

I run 2 of the MRX515's on top of 2 MRX528 dual subs. I love it. Sounds GREAT. I power each sub with a PLX3602 bridged (3600watts) and I power the mains with an XTI4000 bridged (1600watts) in each main. The headroom is wonderful and the speakers are crisp and clearer then ever. I also run a DBX Driverack PA. I am a Peavey fan for their durability, but since my group travels a lot and sets up our own sound, I found the JBL's more flexible, and they weigh so much less. You can carry an MRX515 in each hand. The SP-2's are very heavy. So far, im VERY happy with the MRX speakers.
December 2, 2008 @03:17pm
jluv

Just like to say thanks to all the input on my questions regarding the SP-2's. We played a gig last night and we were able to work the EQ around the 1800-2k mark to really mellow out the horns. Sounded very good. Thanks for the great advice.!
December 6, 2008 @04:27pm