0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
#WinYourWestones

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Controlling the Kick

RickH

Using a Shure Beta 52 on the kick and have a problem with too much punch,
Great tone and low end, but just too much punch when matched with the bass, you can feel the air from the monitors ports.
I have tried different EQ techniques but lose some of the feel.
Should I place a compressor at the front of the insert and then the EQ plug-in?
Is this a common practice anyway to place it in the chain as so? On any track?
Or should I duplicate the track and do some shelving and cut and blend it back in to keep the natural sound?
Thanks,
November 20, 2008 @09:53pm
Smithcok

The short answer would be - you should do whatever you need to do to make it sound good.
Its common to use your compressor either pre or post EQ, depending on the needs of the tracks/song.
The solution will likely involve a combination of (mostly-) subtractive EQ and compression on the bass and kick tracks.
November 20, 2008 @11:11pm
johnlaraway

Getting a good combination of kick and bass is one of the most difficult problems in recording. The big time pros have to work hard at it. Often what works on one song does not work on the next one.
Get some books on recording and mixing. Study them, and expect to spend a lot of time experimenting before you are totally satisfied.
You may not have all the equipment you need to produce the sound you want to hear.
Also, you may have a tuning problem. If your bass is playing in the key of A, and the kick is playing an Ab, or some other pitch that creates a conflict, you will not be able to make it sound good with EQ or compression.
I think you want to feel the air move in front of your monitor. That's what happens when you have a good loud kick.
More often than not, producers use some kind of replacement for kicks, snares, and toms. What you hear on most records ends up being a sample. The mic is just used to create a trigger for the sample that is used to replace the original sound.
November 16, 2009 @05:33am
revert979

Punch usually comes from low end. So, like Smithcok said try using some subjective EQ. But as a general rule of thumb, if your using EQ to "fix" things, something is wrong with the instrument and/or mic. Try different heads. Perhaps a different kick pedal or beater? Maybe a different mic. Try a different position with the mic. All of these things will make way more of a difference than any EQ.
It all depends on the sound you're going for though. Some kick drum sounds (i.e. metal) you simply have to EQ to get.
I really wouldn't start worrying about the note your drum is putting out. Just about all kick drum sounds are scooped to high hell these days anyway, removing any kind of tone the drum is putting out. Unless it's jazz or something.
And to answer your question about compressing and EQ. The general rule is you want to compress in the chain before you EQ. Not that you HAVE to do it that way, but if the compressor comes after the EQ you'll end up smacking down the frequencies you're trying to boost.
November 17, 2009 @04:38am