0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Compressors and effects for Acoustic Guitars

tucker_sound

I was wondering what people were useing for compressors and effects on Acoustic Guitars for live shows.
October 27, 2008 @10:03pm
jpleong

From which perspective? FOH or the performer?
For FOH, I rarely, if ever, use compression for acoustic guitars. Piezo pick-ups already compress the dynamic range of an acoustic guitar to an unnatural degree. If the player is using a magnetic pick-up then perhaps I'll use a small amount of compression between 1:2 and 1:4. I've found that most of the performers using magnetic pick-ups that I mix for are fingerpickers and really don't like having compression unless it's very light.
I use the TC Electronics M-One's M-One Magic (I think that's what it is) preset for acoustic guitar. The delay tapped to the tempo of the player is simply excellent and the voicing of the reverb is perfect.
From a player's perspective I am very much a purist. I know what sounds I want from my acoustic and I coax them out of it without the use of any special effects. I will use the occasional modulation and delay if the song calls for it but that's about it. Of course, a trusty TC reverb is always on for my guitar.
JP
October 28, 2008 @04:00pm