0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Spring Clearance

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Sonar 7 unsing only 1 gig of ram

walkz187

i have been using sonar 6 for few months now. love the platform and the software, but i just keep running to problems. so i upgrade to sonar 7. now im having another issue. sonar is only using up to 1 GIG of ram. which doesnt cut it with my projects i need about 1 1/2 gigs of ram with my songs. this really annoying coz im in the middle of laying down the vocal tracks. i know this coz i did ALT CTRL DEL and look in Performance and it using 9750mb. when im playing the track with 9750mb it will play as soon as i add an extra track and record on it it will drop out and if i go to export it wit the extra track present. this is the error MSG " An internal error occured while processing the mixdown. The Operation was unsuccessful. Ran out of memory " my 2 gig is showing upon loading the computer and while in task manager. and work in cubase sx 3
Why is this?
i love using sonar but i may have to switch back to cubase, coz this is becoming to un productive
HELP PLEASE
October 24, 2008 @01:19am
inhousepro

maybe you might need to upgrade your physical memory??
i understand your frustrations. maybe the guys in the cakewalk forum could help you. www.cakewalk.com
October 25, 2008 @02:25am
Danny Danzi

Walkz, I'm a little late to the party here, but Sonar 7 is pretty hungry due to how much it is capable of doing. You also have to understand, the newer programs use more ram and cpu so you must prepare for this and possibly reconfigure your system.
For example, how many running processes do you see when you first boot up and hit ctrl/alt/del? Anything in the 30's *could* present a problem. Also, in msconfig, there are things running there that you may not need running. You'll have to check to be sure what may need to run that could be essential to your system needs, and what can be permanently shut down. The same with the Windows Services tab. Quite a few of those Windows services don't need to be running when you are using your pc as a DAW. The more things you have running as you know, the more ram and cpu cycles will be spent. Add in Sonar 7 or Sonar 8 into the picture, and you are definitely going to have a ram problem or maybe even motorboating, pops, or clicks etc.
So what I would do is find out what needs to be running on your system, and what can be shut down without causing problems. Whatever you do, if you try to shut some things down, don't just go down the list and kill things. Do some research as to what they are by googling the .exe that may be running etc, and then kill each process one at a time, reboot and see how the machine runs. This way, if you kill one thing and the box doesn't boot or you have other issues, you can always go back and put the check in the box, reboot and you should be ok. It's just like installing hardware. You wouldn't install 5 things on your pc at once. You'd do one at a time which would stop you from having to do process of elimination work. You know the one thing you altered or made a change to it's a bit easier to just re-enable that or make that change knowing exactly what you touched.
Also, there are quite a few ways to run Sonar that will get more performance out of it, but you will have to make sure your system is not running a bunch of stuff behind the scenes. For example, my recording pc boots up with only 24 running tasks on a fresh boot. These 24 things need to run for me and a few are by choice that I "want" to run. I feel it is always best to have control over what auto-runs on my system and only allow processes that need to auto-run, to do so because they are essential to my system, or because I want them there. Eliminating running programs will allow Sonar to breathe better and run the correct way. From there, a good ASIO configuration with the right buffer sizes can make a world of difference in how Sonar performs. WDM is also a great way to run Sonar and how I run it here. So at least you have a few things to think about here. Don't abandone ship too quick and go back to Cubey...though it is a great program, I much prefer Sonar 7 (and now 8) over it in all aspects. :) Good luck!
November 23, 2008 @02:45am
houston

I agree with the last comment about shutting down behind the scenes applications. I found an article on one website (sorry I don't remember the exact site) which said windows on boot up will activate many applications which are unnecessary but do eat up memory. I got brave and shut off everything. I have had no problems with memory and everything is running smoothly. That is a good place to start. Good luck.
November 26, 2008 @03:24pm
Andrew_Malloy

I agree with the last comment about shutting down behind the scenes applications. I found an article on one website (sorry I don't remember the exact site) which said windows on boot up will activate many applications which are unnecessary but do eat up memory. I got brave and shut off everything. I have had no problems with memory and everything is running smoothly. That is a good place to start. Good luck.

Here is an article that our Tech Support Department has written on this topic.
PC Optimization Guide for XP
PC Optimization Guide for Vista
November 26, 2008 @03:30pm
niaz14

down the vocal tracks. i know this coz i did ALT CTRL DEL and look in Performance and it using 9750mb. when im playing the track with 9750mb it will play as soon as i add an extra track and record on it it will drop out and if i go to export it wit the extra track present
November 30, 2008 @04:40am