0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Live Recording

alverito08

Hey All!
I just signed up to the boards. I never even knew sweetwater had forums.
I am the Media Director at my church and am pretty much heading up the technical side of recording our live worship album in the fall of 2009. It's the first we are doing. We do have a limited budget and so we were looking at a few different ways of doing it. Initially we were going to record straight to a digital recorder from our Sanctuary Board and then spill it all into a DAW and go from there for overdubs, etc.
But then i thought well why not invest into a couple of Mackie Onyx 1640's and record straight onto Logic and later be able to use the Mackie Boards with studio overdubs and what not afterwards.
These are the two ways we are looking at doing it considering our budget. I would love to hear any suggestions. We really want it to sound good but know its not going to be the best. I look forward to hearing back.
October 23, 2008 @04:28pm
Pinhead

You can record the direct channel outputs of your board into Logic thru a suitable interface. I don"t know how much your budget is but with a Presonus Firestudio and Digimax FS you can multitrack 16 channels into Logic. It"ll set you back about 1,500 bucks. Once in Logic you can embellish the program to your liking. That's the setup I use at my church and it works flawlessly every time. Careful! The direct outs of the board are usually affected by the gain. Make sure you get the gain right so you don't have to mess with it when you're recording.
October 26, 2008 @01:54am
michaelhoddy

The digital Firewire interface option of the Mackie Onyx boards is a convenient way to do what you're after doing. The only limit is that you really have a track limit of 16 channels, and to get beyond that, you end up having to cobble things together to daisy-chain the boards. And that's certainly not something you really want to do with these mixers in a live setting- you're setting yourself up for something complex and somewhat limited.
So I would say that the Onyx/Firewire combo is a good idea if you're running 16 inputs or less. I don't think daisy-chaining them is going to be much fun.
October 26, 2008 @02:43am
Hipster Dofus

I have the Onyx 16/2, and I plan to start recording shows as soon I get time to dial it in with my iMac........
October 26, 2008 @12:52pm
alverito08

thanks for the responses. i think we have decided to go with the Motu 24I/O Core PCI-e. We need to have the lease amount of latency as possible. any thoughts?
November 4, 2008 @08:16pm
howlingwolf487

Just to make the point:
Do you have all of the required licensing in place that is needed in order to legally record and distribute the recordings? CCLI, etc...
I just wanted to put it out there. I wouldn't want you to unknowingly be breaking the law (I also wouldn't want you knowingly breaking it, either - that would be worse!). Just realize that there are different licenses for recording something and also distributing those recordings.
If you've got this covered, great! Otherwise, you need to look into it.
As far as recording goes, I would go for a few MOTU interfaces, depending on your setup. See what fits your needs and consider the options.
If you are running on a Mac, you get a free multitrack editor with it.
November 12, 2008 @06:27am
Dave Burris

Do you have all of the required licensing in place that is needed in order to legally record and distribute the recordings? CCLI, etc...

Are you referring to recording copyrighted material and distributing?
November 12, 2008 @01:20pm
SoloArtist

Are you referring to recording copyrighted material and distributing?

Hey, Bless you Dave & welcome!
I'll let Dave answer your question himself but he was correct to bring it up. I have experience in book publishing, with copyrights and contracts. Copyright laws came in to play in the 1940's.
Really unless you are the sole songwriter-musician & producer, you will need to check to see if the songs you are recording are in the public domain. If you are planning on selling your CD copies, you will need to have the proper releases from the band members and others included in the project.
This is a general rule but I would go to a website that specifically has information on music publishing and check further. I am doing some recordings too but they are songs that I have written for my music ministry. If you'd like to see some of the recording equipment I use, click on the link below.
November 14, 2008 @04:22am