0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Tascam 2488 Neo

Dave H.

Just wondering if anyone had any experiences with this latest version of the 2488?
Dave Huffman:)
October 16, 2008 @04:20pm
Techrep

It basically adds new CD mastering tools. It has a new multi-band compressor, New mastering EQ, and Noise shaped dithering options. It also has a new exterior case. I like the color scheme a LOT better than the basic grey or Blue of the previous versions.
Operationally it works the same as the earlier versions.
Ted
October 25, 2008 @02:50pm
RadMan47

I just got the Tascam 2488neo. I thought I was upgrading from my Fostex VF-16, but now I'm not so sure. Tascam claims you can use their on-board multiple effects (chorus & reverb on vocals for example) and pick the channels that the effects will apply to. It appears that you can only do one and it seems to apply to all channels. The manual is of little to no help. Anyone out there have any suggestions before I go totally bonkers? Thanks!
January 18, 2009 @11:04pm
amjons1

I actually just ordered one of these. I hope this is not the case... I would surely like to use multiple & seperate effects on multiple & seperate channels. If this is not the case, I might have to return it.
March 6, 2009 @03:29pm
Techrep

There are 2 effects processors on the unit. The first is a multi-effects processor that you can apply to any channel on the way in. It prints the effect to the track as you record. You assign it to one of the inputs. Or you can bounce out one of the outputs back into the unit if you choose. The second effect is a room simulator that is applied to all channels via an effects buss. It is used for room reverb vocal effects etc. The multi effects processor includes guitar, Bass, Vocal and Drum effects. In addition there is per channel EQ and a multi-band dynamics processor for mastering. I hope this helps.
BTW the manual does stink!
Ted
March 6, 2009 @03:49pm
sandaniam

There are 2 effects processors on the unit. The first is a multi-effects processor that you can apply to any channel on the way in. It prints the effect to the track as you record. You assign it to one of the inputs. Or you can bounce out one of the outputs back into the unit if you choose. The second effect is a room simulator that is applied to all channels via an effects buss. It is used for room reverb vocal effects etc. The multi effects processor includes guitar, Bass, Vocal and Drum effects. In addition there is per channel EQ and a multi-band dynamics processor for mastering. I hope this helps.
BTW the manual does stink!
Ted

Hi,
I just bought a Neo, love it but still learning. I can get the mic effects and the multi effects to work on an input and record with them on, but not the "Single" effects. Are these only assignable to a channel after it's recorded? There are lots of nice verbs and delays etc that would be nice to have on the mic as well as the compressor when recording the vocal.
I agree the manual is not intuitive. I bought a tutorial DVD, very helpful.
Gary.
March 22, 2009 @04:50pm
sandaniam

I just got the Tascam 2488neo. I thought I was upgrading from my Fostex VF-16, but now I'm not so sure. Tascam claims you can use their on-board multiple effects (chorus & reverb on vocals for example) and pick the channels that the effects will apply to. It appears that you can only do one and it seems to apply to all channels. The manual is of little to no help. Anyone out there have any suggestions before I go totally bonkers? Thanks!

Hey, I bought the tutorial DVD, very helpful.
here:
http://www.proaudiodvds.com/
March 22, 2009 @04:53pm
Dave H.

I have the orginal 2488 & was thinking of getting the NEO.
If you are interested in automation software check out mixermuse.com It turns your 2488 into a whole different machine!
May 7, 2009 @11:17pm
elwoodblues1969

I'm glad I'm not the only one that is having trouble with the Neo,as I thought perhaps,that I was too accustomed to the simplicity of my Zoom 8HD.
I was able to lay down tracks almost immediately,but when it came time to do some in-depth editing-such as deleting small portions of a track,I was completely lost and I'm having identical problems with the effects implementation.:(
I was originally looking at the Korg D3200,but to pay twice the price-just to have 11 insert effects & Session Drums,was just not my game at all...since I have plenty of effects with my Korg workstations.
I imagine that anyone who does not have prior experience with the older 2488 series,will be completely screwed...unless they buy the tutorial DVD.
It seems that Tascam purposely made the user's manual vague,so that people will be forced to purchase the DVD..as some sort of ancillary benefit to them.
I got my 2488neo for $674 at AbesOfMaine.com,so forking over an extra $30 for a tutorial DVD is not a big deal,but I think Tascam should-at the very least,offer a package deal(the unit & DVD) at an additional cost,so people will realize at the time they buy the Neo,that they may need the DVD.
-Thom
May 29, 2009 @04:37pm
RadMan47

Thanks for all the help with the effect issues I had a while back. It resolved my problem. Now, I have another question.
We recorded a tune and it came out great, except that we wanted to speed it up slightly. No problem .... I used the Pitch/SSA device and set it to the desired speed. The problem is that when you mix or master, the new speed setting does not transfer over to the master.
Is there any way around this?
Thanks .... Kenny
June 25, 2009 @12:32am
rct

I think yer hearing playback at the new tempo, but need to probably send it out and back in on a left and right and re-record it at new tempo. Never had to mess with that, but I'll suggest you come here:
http://www.tascam2488.com/
These guys know everything.
rct
June 25, 2009 @11:31am
elwoodblues1969

Since I've had ample time to comb through the Neo,I just wanted to let folks here know,that a combination of referring to both the DVD tutorial & manual is the best way to go,as if you're too dependant on one to learn everything,then you're not likely to get a full,comprehensive understanding of the unit.
Once you do however,you'll find that the Neo is a utter joy to work with,as once the "veil" is removed from your eyes,you'll realize how simple this machine is.
About the single effects: the manner in which the effects are designated,is that it's assigned as sort of "master" effect,as it's present on all channels,but if you depress the SEND button,there's is an effect volume control,so you can choose how dry or wet any particular track will be.
I have not messed with speed variances on this unit,so I have no clue about this,as I've had no need to use this function.
I have found the phantom power to be far less than adequate & the effects are merely average,so an external mic preamp & effects processor is a necessary upgrade.
-Thom
June 25, 2009 @03:43pm
blivit

I started doing quite a bit of recording lately for other people and upgraded to a neo. So far it has done a good job though I haven't tried anything complicated. I did order the tutorial DVD but it hasn't come yet...( a long time for priority mail!
Yes the manual is terrible. Working on connecting a Behringer EX3200 to brighten the vocals. Any ideas???
June 26, 2009 @07:51pm
elwoodblues1969

A sonic enhancer is not going to compensate for inadequate source material or a cheap mic preamp(believe me,as I've already been through this myself recently).
If you want clean,forward sounding vocals,forget the Behringer and worry about adding a clean preamp that has plenty of gain....such as the M-Audio DMP3(if you're on a budget),or go for the True P-Solo.
Good vocal techniques and a clean solid state preamp is all you need to brighten up your vocals(assuming you have a decent microphone).
-Thom
June 28, 2009 @08:03pm
rct

Have you set an out point?
July 6, 2009 @05:16pm