0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

EON 1500 Cables - Advice Needed


I bought two JBL EON 1500 speakers at a pawn shop at a great price. I refurbished them and they are great. I have cobbled together some cables to go from my receiver to (pin type red/black) to the 1/4" phone connector. I would like to buy some decent cables (50') to go from the pin type connectors on my old receiver (Sony DA777ES) to the 1/4" phone or NL4 connectors on the speakers.
Is there anybody who makes cables for these. Thanks in advance for any advice. TCT
October 4, 2008 @04:05pm

The outputs of receivers and other consumer equipment like that is an unbalanced signal. To quote Sweetwater, "unbalanced lines should be kept as short as possible (certainly under 25-30' maximum) to minimize potential noise problems." Creating a run of 50 feet means you're likely to hear some buzzing in your speakers. To overcome this, what you want is a device like this:
Then just use two 50 foot microphone cables between the Samson box and the speakers:
And this between the receiver and the Samson box:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CPR202/ (also available in other lengths)
Of course, if you don't mind interference you could always run the unbalanced lines. But it's actually hard to find a premade cable that long due to it being an improper way of doing things, so you could make your own.
October 6, 2008 @03:13am

What a fool I am. The speakers are passive and your RCA outputs are speaker level. I'm so used to working with active EONs that I didn't even consider anything else.
Assuming this is in your home and not being brought around as a DJ setup or something, I would just get a spool of radio shack speaker wire and the appropriate connectors -- just as you have already done. If you do need heavy duty cables, get some like this:
and replace one 1/4" connector with RCA on each cable. This is 16 gauge by the way, get thicker if you wish.
October 6, 2008 @09:03pm

Because these are pin type speaker connectors, all I will need to do is strip the cables.
I had not been able to find speaker cables like this. Thank you very much for your reply.
Sorry for the late response. I was not notified of a reply to my question - so just stumbled across the answer.
Is there an NL4 cable equivalent to this?
Thanks again
November 22, 2008 @03:34am