rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Where do I order this cable?

CHIP ROBERTS

When I used the search function there were no results that answered my question...
I’ve been using these Furman power cables for a few years. Recently, I’m finding more and more outlets (on the three ways) that are dead. A buddy of mine who has all this thick “SO” power cable (the kind with the quad box on the end) is always telling me, “dude, you need to get some real power”.
So my question is - if I CANNOT make my own or if someone else (even the buddy I mentioned) CANNOT make or sell me some of these thick-cabled power drops, where can I order/purchase some for myself? What website or company makes or sells this type of thing? Where do people get them?
Thanks a lot…
September 30, 2008 @04:37pm
exclibr

You can get all this cable, boxes, outlets, etc. at your local Home Depot or Lowes store. Just make sure you get heavy (12 guage) wire and use 20 amp, not 15 amp, outlets and plugs.
September 30, 2008 @04:45pm
CHIP ROBERTS

You can get all this cable, boxes, outlets, etc. at your local Home Depot or Lowes store. Just make sure you get heavy (12 guage) wire and use 20 amp, not 15 amp, outlets and plugs.

Hey, thanks for the reply! I need all the help I can get! But it sounds like you're talking about me building what I need. I don't know how to make anything.
I want to be able to buy power cables that already have the plug-in (see, I don't even know what it's really called!) on one end and the quad box on the other end. I want to order/buy them in 25', 50', and one in 100' lengths. I want to buy already put-together, finished cable.
September 30, 2008 @04:54pm
exclibr

Well, you can order them from your local electrical supply house, but thet will cost you about 10 times what you can make them for. If you are going to be into live sound, etc., you need to learn how to do some of the simple things. I'll bet you some one you know in music or any home-handy guy can show you how to do it, and it will be knowledge that will come in handy for you later.
September 30, 2008 @05:02pm
CHIP ROBERTS

Well, you can order them from your local electrical supply house, but thet will cost you about 10 times what you can make them for. If you are going to be into live sound, etc., you need to learn how to do some of the simple things. I'll bet you some one you know in music or any home-handy guy can show you how to do it, and it will be knowledge that will come in handy for you later.

Yeah, you're right. I'm sure it's easy, it's just that I've never seen anyone anyone do it. Even if someone could look over my shoulder and walk me through it, I could get it right away.
I've been trying to Google, "how to make your own SO cable power drops". Yeah I know. I just really need to get this going. I've got two important events this weekend. Last weekend, I did a festival where my PA was divided up between 4 differnt stages. I had musicians telling me, "hey, this outlet on here doesn't work either!", on the stage I mixed on.
I can't have that...
September 30, 2008 @05:10pm
exclibr

You can put one together in less than 30 minutes if you get the stuff and find someone to walk you through it. The most important thing is " Green wire to Green screw, Black wire to brass screw, white wire to silver screw". Get going and find someone to help you and you can easily get it done by the weekend. Good luck.
September 30, 2008 @05:15pm
CHIP ROBERTS

You can put one together in less than 30 minutes if you get the stuff and find someone to walk you through it. The most important thing is " Green wire to Green screw, Black wire to brass screw, white wire to silver screw". Get going and find someone to help you and you can easily get it done by the weekend. Good luck.

What? It's that easy? I thought it would involve sawdering (I have no idea how to spell it. I know, it's sad...)! I didn't know it was just a matter of screwing something down! I used to install data cable (CAT5, 5e, CAT 6, all kinds of mess), so I'm sure I could do this.
The problem is finding someone to help me...
AAAAAARGH!!!!!!
September 30, 2008 @05:24pm
exclibr

Power cables involve no soldering. A screwdriver, a pair of pliers, and a wire cutter/stripper are all the tools you need.
September 30, 2008 @05:31pm
exclibr

And a utility knife.
September 30, 2008 @05:32pm
CHIP ROBERTS

Power cables involve no soldering. A screwdriver, a pair of pliers, and a wire cutter/stripper are all the tools you need.

AAAAAARGH! I've got all that, and more! I just don't know what to do put the "ends" on. There are some other sound people around, but they won't help me because they consider it to be helping the competition! Man, I hate that crap.
I wish there was a "how to make some SO power drops for live sound use" videos...
Thanks again.
September 30, 2008 @05:36pm
exclibr

Send me your email address and i'll sketch it out and send it to you.
September 30, 2008 @05:39pm
exclibr

But again, it's not a SOUND GUY thing. Any handy type guy can show you how to do it.
September 30, 2008 @05:41pm
CHIP ROBERTS

Send me your email address and i'll sketch it out and send it to you.

PM sent. Thank you, Sir!
September 30, 2008 @05:42pm
yeahforbes

Are these quad boxes (even if assembled properly) compliant with NEC codes for outdoor use, where they face up so debris can fall into the receptacles, and so on?
September 30, 2008 @07:47pm
exclibr

They are if they are plugged into a GFI, just like any other extension cord.
September 30, 2008 @08:02pm