rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev
0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

OK, here's one for you top pro audio guys

ktmrooster

I've always wondered why the drummers in the big-time acts have a mixer with them behind the drums. Are they mixing their own monitor or does it have a bigger purpose? And if the answer is some really cool pro-audio trick, I'll have to try it out!
September 17, 2008 @12:03am
aitikin

What big time acts are you talking about? I've never noticed a drummer have a mixer behind them.
September 17, 2008 @05:24am
Smithcok

Could be monitor mix (or in-ear mix), could also be a click track (which could also be mixed with sequenced backing tracks from a computer, etc.)
September 17, 2008 @01:24pm
ktmrooster

I've seen many a drummer with that setup on several dvd's over the last couple of years. I picked up Joe Satriani's latest dvd called Super Colossal and his drummer had one back there. I've also seen Butch Trucks with a mixer back there as well as Steve Vai's drummer. I've seen some others too but I'm drawing a blank on which drummers it was.
I figured it might be a monitor thing but then, shouldn't guys that high up the music food chain have guys mixing their monitor for them? I've never actually seen any of these guys actually do anything with the mixer, though. It's just sitting back there beside them.
I also thought it could be some kind of sampler setup but then, the guys I'm talking about don't really use anything like that I can tell. It's not like they're doing the Neal Peart thing with all the sound effects and stuff.
It's not a burning question or anything but I am dang curious about it!
September 18, 2008 @03:26am
Cory Cooper

I have seen drummers do this to maintain control over their mix. The rack behind them is used to create submixes that are sent to FOH. They maintain control over their mix and they can adjust when switching snares, control compression, add/change effects/triggers, etc.
September 18, 2008 @03:06pm