0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

PA backwash

susiejennings

Hi everyone -
I have a pair of FBT Jolly 8ba's that seem to have a low-end resonance that makes working a live room very difficult. I use a nylon acoustic-electric and the cabs kick back a range around C, C# and D on the A string. Vocals have a similar effect tho not as bad.
Is the Presonus EQ3B (?) a solution? I was told that plastic speakers resonate, and that seems to be my case.
Peace - sooz
September 14, 2008 @07:50pm
cmchamp

Sooz
Plastic speakers do resonate at different frequencies than wood boxes, however, that may not be the issue.
The smaller the low frequency driver, the less directivity at lower frequencies. So, there would be little difference between a wooden box and a plastic enclosure with regard to the directivity of the frequencies in question.
If you don't have a 31 band EQ, or parametric EQ in the signal chain, adding one will allow you to make those adjustments reducing the frequencies in question. (off the top of my head, around 150Hz)
C.
September 14, 2008 @09:13pm
susiejennings

Thanks for the response....and what is "directivity"?
Not sure what that means - dispersion?
September 15, 2008 @12:22am