0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Keeping bass strings live

mgraffeo

I remember reading somewhere a cool tip about taking bass strings which have been played for a while, and in some way cleaning them (I think that it involved vinegar and boiling?) to take older strings and give them new life. Does anybody know what this is, or have any other suggestions for prolonging the life of bass strings? Yeah, I'm pretty cheap...:(
Thanks!
November 11, 2002 @10:20pm
David Klausner

You can boil them to inject some new life into strings. I don't think vinegar is necessary, and I don't think I could deal with the smell. The benefits won't last too long, and it can make the strings break more easily, but it does work in a pinch.
November 12, 2002 @09:03pm
Dr.SixString

Yeah, just boil them and they will be fresh but just for a couple of weeks, then they'll start dying again:D
Dr6.
If you played them for 10 years or something better forget about the boiling, get some new;)
November 18, 2002 @04:31am
Stimson96

Boiling strings work great. I've done it for years. I read an article years ago that said eating too much greasy foods like pizza, burgers, and fries before you play will decrease string life also. You sweat what you eat into your strings. Not sure if thats true or not but think of how much better you'll feel anyway. I use DR strings exculsivly because they sound great way longer than any others I've tried.
January 6, 2003 @09:21pm