0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

elementary school in need of sound system

musicteacher

I am teaching at a small elementary school and I have been asked to purchase a sound system to use for our concerts and talent show. These events are held in a small school cafeteria and usually consist of 100 to 200 students singing. I have a few pieces that I think I can use Europower PMX2000, Eurolive F/520 High Power 2 way floor monitor, and microphones. I do not have speakers or cd/cassette player for music tracks and I don't have a clue what else I need. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!
August 29, 2008 @01:58am
EC_Beast

What kind of budget do you have?
August 29, 2008 @02:02am
cmchamp

It may be more cost effective and efficient to rent an appropriate system. Just putting up a couple of speakers on poles and a bunch of microphones isn't necessarily the right way to do it.
Just my 2 cents.
To answer directly your question, a diagram or photos of the room with dimensions, seating area, staging area etc. would help tremendously.
Are you wanting something semi portable, or something as a fixed install solution?
C.
August 29, 2008 @07:59pm
musicteacher

I have a school budget which means the cheaper the better. (estimated $2000 - $4000)
The room size approximately has 20 ft ceilings, 24 by 36ft floor space, and on one end of the room is a very small stage (maybe 10ft deep by 15ft wide)
The system needs to be portable as there is no safe storage for any equipment in the room.
August 29, 2008 @10:19pm
RawknRoll

Here is my two cents music teacher,
By all means a lot more people on here could better handle what you need as far as live situations go but... to me this is a cost effective way especially for an elementary school.
Get two Mackie SRM v2's at 750 each These are powered speakers meaning you just plug in the speaker to a power outlet and one cable to mixer. Plus they are much lighter then a lot of speakers.
1500 right there
Then get a good unpowered mixer like a mackie onyx 1220 for 579.0
thats at about 2,000 grand there
now just to get by if you get a decent mic pack
like an Sennheiser e835 3-Pack at 229.00
that could get you by decently well for the lower end of your budge
about 2,300 out the door.
now if you want something more a pair of condensers would be good for picking up a lot of voices... for something workable thats in the 250.00 range
if you want the kids to hear themselves a couple powered monitors would be great like these
Samson Live! 612M a couple of these would help the kids hear themselves on stage that's another 700.
3,000 running total
now you didn't mention anything about micing drums or anything but obviously you can keep adding stuff. bottom line though
for talent shows and just vocal applications
A Pair of Mackie SRMv2's
a 12 channel mixer like the onyx
and three mics
will get you by.
and even the 12 channels might be overkill... just leaving room for expansion.
Hope that puts you in the right direction.
August 30, 2008 @07:33pm