rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Best bass under $1000?

Big Bottom Willie

Okay, since I couldn't get any input on the Ibanez BTB series, I'll broaden my question.
What is the best 4-string bass I could buy for under $1000? I'd actually like to keep it down around $600, but I wouldn't rule out something significantly better for a little more money. I'm currently playing soft rock, hard rock, and country.
Please, ANY suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!
August 28, 2008 @02:37pm
Tarktones

I'm actually a big fan of Schecter bass guitars. In fact, I just bought another one (this will be the 2nd I've purchased). I love the feel of the neck, the tone of the EMG's and the pickup placement is just perfect for how I like to play. I had a C4-XXX and my Stiletto Custom 4 is being delivered today. Thumbs up from me.
August 29, 2008 @04:09pm
JCM

Some to check:
Warwick Corvette Standard
MTD Kingston Heir
Lakland Skyline 44-01
Conklin GT4
Carvin
August 30, 2008 @06:16am
Big Bottom Willie

Thanks for the input!
I've actually checked out some Schecter models, with mixed reviews. The last one I looked at wasn't bad, but the knobs were really cheap and plasticky.
I like the Warwick stuff but would probably want some of the more expensive bells and whistles.
MTD's and Conklins can be hard to find, and I don't like the looks of the Carvin stuff. Personal preference, I guess.
I've heard good things about Lakland Skylines, and they are still an option.
Does anyone have experience with the G&L Tribute series? I seem to hear good things about them, but don't have any personal experience with them. Seems like a better alternative than the cheaper Fender stuff...
Thanks again for the suggestions.
September 23, 2008 @09:25pm
C.J.

I am really happy with my Ibanez SR530 so far. Nothing fancy, but for the money a very solid bass.
October 28, 2008 @07:03pm
JayDeeBee

Mybe it's too late for my answer to mean anything, but you should definitely check out the Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass. It lists for about a grand, but I bought mine here from Sweetwater last summer for $780. You could probably get a used one on the Bay for $650 to $700. It is a remake of the early 70's JB like Geddy has. Compared to a regular JB it has a slimmer neck, upgraded pups and a Badass bridge. It also looks totally cool. I get a nice range of tones on mine, from dull and thumpy to hot and growly.
December 10, 2008 @04:55pm
Joe Gilder

Do you have a bass you're currently using? I'm primarily a guitarist, but I've been really impressed with my Fender Standard (Mexican) Jazz Bass. I bought it seven months ago and haven't been disappointed. I chose that over the SRX Ibanez basses.
December 10, 2008 @05:50pm
Big Bottom Willie

Thanks again for all the input; it is greatly appreciated.
I'm up to three basses now:
Ibanez ATK300 (from the first go-round in the 90's)
Ibanez ATK750KA (got a great deal on this koa-topped beast)
circa 1992 Squier P-Bass (my first bass and a recent project - installed Duncan active Basslines/electronics and it's back in the rotation)
So unless I come across a can't-pass-it-up deal, I'm probably done shopping for a while. Now to find that perfect combo amp..........
January 22, 2009 @09:23pm
bottomender

Too bad you don't like Carvins. Have you actually seen or held a new one in person? The fit, finish, hardware and especially playability cannot be touched on guitars and basses costing three times as much. (Their guitars look like PRS's) The best part is you can choose everything you like and they build it for you exactly like you want it. I have 6 basses including some very expensive vintage Fenders and Gibsons which I love and would never sell but my Carvin LB-70 only cost $700 and it looks as good and actually plays better than my others.
Just a thought.
August 15, 2009 @04:51pm
Big Bottom Willie

Thanks again for the input. I did recently find a can't-pass-it-up deal on a Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones 4-string J bass, and so far I love it. Action, setup, tone, build quality - no offense to the Fender guys but I think for the price it blows them away.
I do still love my old ATK though, and a new set of Rotosound strings made me appreciate it even more.
January 11, 2010 @09:34pm
86general

Carvin.
They have several models where you could get "out the door" for under $700 probably. Many, many models at or around $1000.
I own a Carvin guitar and they are without a doubt some of the finest built instruments you will find. US made quality, custom options, etc.
I just ordered my first bass guitar from them, a Sekou Bunch signature model.
January 17, 2010 @02:50am
byeager

I have a Carvin LB75F 5 string fretless that plays great! I added several options (rounded edges, asymmetrical neck, white inlaid fret lines & dot inlays, strap locks, maple neck and body, headstock matching body color, and the upgraded tweed case) and was still around $1000 at the time (would be around $1200 now, I think). My only disappointment was the case upgrade. The tweed case looks good, but seems a little flimsy to me. If I had it to do again, that's the only thing I'd change, and take the blowmolded plastic case, instead. The only case I see offered on their website now is a black tolex hardshell case. The asymmetrical neck is great! I'd buy another Carvin in a heartbeat. It plays as well as my $3000 Pedulla (if I could only get the hang of fretless! LOL!).
January 17, 2010 @08:08pm
RaxJaggr

I have a Yamaha BB414 that i really like. It has split P style and a single J style pickups, and you can dial those for a variety of tones, but what i like most is that the p.u. to me are very transparent. Also, on the Carvin topic, I do not have a Carvin bass, but have an amp of thiers that i really, really like.
P.S. If you come across an old OLP, try it. They are not in business anymore, but I have a 5 string copy of a Music Man that is really good for the roughly $200 i paid for it.
January 29, 2010 @09:55pm