rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Mic for Live upright bass

jzzbassman

I have a device (the Livebass H-clamp) which allows me to mount a mic on my upright bass. It works really well and I now play in most situations with a mic rather than a pickup (Jazz).
Right now I am using an old AKG C3000 (not the C3000b). I'm happy with this but I'm wondering if I might be able to find something a little smaller as I am mounting on my bass.
My requirements would be:
1. Good rejection of bleed as I am usually right by the drums. The AKG is good at this.
2. Small in size that will let me mount it in the tight spot underneath the strings between fingerboard and bridge.
3. Sounds good close mic'd as I usually have it around 2" from the top of the bass.
4. Handles high volume with the least amount of feedback. This upright is uncommonly loud.
Any recommendations I might have missed? Heil Sound is supposed to make a compact version of the PR40 which would have been perfect, but I am tired of waiting on this to come out (no production date schedule).
August 27, 2008 @03:20am
jmit01

I don't know what your budget is, but I'm getting excellent recordings micing upright basses in a live jazz trio (with drums), using a DPA 4006-TL.
It is an omni mic, so there will be some bleed from the drums, but it's a very low level compared to that coming from the bass. I wrap the 4006 in foam and install it in the bridge, just like they show/recommend on the DPA website:
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/page.php?PID=104 .
Because it's an omni, you don't have the problem with boomyness that you get using cardioids with proximity effect.
You didn't mention it, but I assumed you're micing the bass for recording purposes only, and not for channeling into a live sound system. Did I assume correctly ?
August 27, 2008 @06:00am
jpleong

To stay in the DPA realm, the DPA 4060 is absolutely awesome for Jazz bass live. Using the "stringed instrument mount" you set it and forget it. I know a few jazz upright bassists who use it locally (and one of them is the best bassist I have ever had the pleasure of hearing).
JP
August 27, 2008 @02:49pm
michaelhoddy

The DPA is THE mic for this application, I agree with the others.
However, if you can't quite stomach the price, I also like the Audio-Technica ATM350 and the AKG C419 (now the C519). Although both are directional mics, they handle the close-in proximity of being mounted on a stringed instrument without getting muddy with a bunch of bass build-up pretty well.
August 27, 2008 @03:31pm
jzzbassman

I don't know what your budget is, but I'm getting excellent recordings micing upright basses in a live jazz trio (with drums), using a DPA 4006-TL.
It is an omni mic, so there will be some bleed from the drums, but it's a very low level compared to that coming from the bass. I wrap the 4006 in foam and install it in the bridge, just like they show/recommend on the DPA website:
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/page.php?PID=104 .
Because it's an omni, you don't have the problem with boomyness that you get using cardioids with proximity effect.
You didn't mention it, but I assumed you're micing the bass for recording purposes only, and not for channeling into a live sound system. Did I assume correctly ?

No, live only.
The DPA recommendations y'all are making are intriguing, but definitely on the price taggy side.
September 1, 2008 @08:05pm
jzzbassman

The DPA is THE mic for this application, I agree with the others.
However, if you can't quite stomach the price, I also like the Audio-Technica ATM350 and the AKG C419 (now the C519). Although both are directional mics, they handle the close-in proximity of being mounted on a stringed instrument without getting muddy with a bunch of bass build-up pretty well.

Interesting, but I'm not really that confident on mini-mics. I don't like the clipping system (Prefer the Live Bass H Clamp) and they don't ever seem to handle the low end well for me.
Thanks all.....any other thoughts?
September 1, 2008 @08:09pm
Ted

Interesting, but I'm not really that confident on mini-mics

Don't let the small size convince you that they can't offer a big bass response...even if you've had a bad experience with a miniature microphone in the past, all min mics are definitely not created equal.
September 2, 2008 @02:35pm
Tarktones

I'll second Ted here. I've used some Shure lav's that were just crap (can't recall what model) but the Shure Beta 98's sound great IMO. DPA are top notch for sure.
September 2, 2008 @06:16pm
jpleong

I don't like using lav clips either, this is the device I referred to... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MHS6001
It points the mic right at the bridge, where it should be :-)
I'll emphasize, again, the DPA 4060 is perfect for the job.
JP
September 2, 2008 @06:46pm