rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

best keyboard for beat making-hip-hop

jadetheartist

Hello,
I am an aspiring musician interested in buying a high-quality keyboard for making demo quality tracks in hip-hop music.
I have a m-audio axiom 25 keyboard, but i feel that it is not producing the quality. I am using it with programs like reason and pro tools.
Any suggestions?
August 21, 2008 @09:48pm
mac

Can you be more specific about what you don't like about the Axiom? If you're not happy with the sound of your tracks, the Axiom isn't going to help or hurt since it's just a controller.
-mac
August 21, 2008 @09:53pm
jadetheartist

thanks mac for the reply,
I want to be able to sample, loop, and choose vsts from the keyboard.
Also, Theres somethings i don't know how to do on it, (for example), could i transfer synths/and vsts from reason into its program or controller pad of the Axiom 25 keyboard?
I am new to the midi controller/keyboard so any advice on where to start would be helpful.
August 22, 2008 @05:03pm
mac

It sounds like you are looking for an actual sampler/keyboard.
The Axiom, along with other MIDI controllers, is a set of keys, pads, knobs and faders that transmit MIDI information to a synth or, in your case, virtual instrument. It's purpose is to allow you to play your soft synths and samplers like a physical instrument. All of the processing, sounds and effects reside in the computer. The controller itself has no way to store sounds, etc.
Since Reason doesn't sample, I'd suggest recording the audio you want to sample into Pro Tools. Once there you can edit and process as you like, then save that audio in a "samples" folder on your hard drive. You can then load those samples into Reason and sequence them using Reason's sequencer.
While the Axiom doesn't store any of the loops or sounds internally, the M-Audio Enigma software allows you to set the keyboard up and have custom templates for working with different software. Once set up, you should be able to control Reason's sequencer and other functions directly from the Axiom. The manual should have instructions on how to do this.
-mac
August 22, 2008 @09:16pm
amit022

a high-quality keyboard for making demo quality tracks in hip-hop music.
please help me.
November 9, 2008 @08:24am
michaelhoddy

The few hip-hop guys I've worked with use some combination of an Akai MPC and a keyboard workstation, like one of the Korgs or Rolands.
Using a computer with Reason or a similar program, along with a MIDI controller seems to be the other popular approach.
November 9, 2008 @11:38am
pkilla

The few hip-hop guys I've worked with use some combination of an Akai MPC and a keyboard workstation, like one of the Korgs or Rolands.
Using a computer with Reason or a similar program, along with a MIDI controller seems to be the other popular approach.

I use a roland jp8000 and a korg ms2000 with my akai mpc100 to produce some of my hip hop but in all honest if your using reasons already why not look for some new refills etc. this is loads cheaper.
if you did want a keyboard then i would say either the korg or rolands, just depends on budget
November 11, 2008 @02:24pm
ELP71

Don't forget the Motif. Lots of hip-hop guys loving that line.
November 12, 2008 @02:47pm
BDIs

You might try open labs. I may sell allot of my gear to get one!
http://www.openlabs.com/
December 31, 2008 @10:15pm
macsoul70

i am a proud owner of a Fantom x6! i love it! 16 drum pads, sampling, 8 tracks of multitrack audio recording, tight, beefy sounds, color lcd display and usb data and midi control. i also seen the new open labs neko lx5.....it's the official all in one music /drum computer workstation. mpc pads, windows xp operating system, sample any synth into the computer, tons of sounds and 1-2 terabytes of harddrive storage.....nice. now for the downside...$4600.00 . if your thinking of starting a studio and money is no potion....go with the neko
March 31, 2009 @09:57pm
yukmouth13

I've been into hip hop my whole life and started making beats about 5 years ago. Most hip hoppers used to start with an MPC for the drums, and if they couldn't afford keyboards, they would just sample records into the MPC. Things are different now. You have access to tons of refills in Reason. Just do a search in google for refills and you'll come up with endless possiblities.
In terms of drum sounds, most keyboards that state they have "hip hop sounds" are weak. They might have nice synth sounds, but for drum samples, you should either sample them yourself or get them from reputable drum sample sites like www.industrydrums.com. You could then load them up into a Redrum machine in Reason as wav files.
May 27, 2009 @12:14am
VIII

If your looking for a stand alone keyboard you should look into Yamaha. They make excellent keyboards for both piano playing, electronica, and or hip-hop. They have some very good samples and you can upload more. Some of them have the ability to record built in as well.
For the above, check Yamaha, Roland, Korg.
If you're using a computer to record and make your beats you'll need a MIDI controller keyboard. These are usually USB or Firewire plug ins that control a function/sound/or sound grouping with the touch of the keys. This will activate whatever sound or sample you select. You can use it as a keyboard/piano or assign a different drum/sound to each key.
For the above check M-Audio, Akai. Roland and Korg make these types as well.
September 14, 2009 @07:32am
saivenkat

I am new to the midi controller/keyboard so any advice on where to start would be helpful..
October 29, 2009 @04:34am
allenmark

I really appreciate it, volume one was like the first time I ever did a remix album. I am going to start a new music industry and as I likes hip hop beats I am conducting one show for it.
hip hop beats
March 11, 2011 @11:44am
TheKeytarist

Novation sl mk II
March 13, 2011 @08:21pm