0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 4

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Is tascam fw-1082 usable with Apple logic or protools?

Soul Tattoo

Hi.
I have many questions, and am profoundly confused and misguided.
I'm getting a new mac, since our church has a nice HD Protools and Apple logic set up. Currently I'm stuck with Cubase, so if I'm working on a project and need to take my work to add tracks there, things aren't compatible. So- do I keep the 1082 and change software (will it work?) or do I need to spring for a new control surface (like I can afford it)?
If I must update my control surface, will the M-Audio Project Mix with Protools M-powered be cross compatible with the HD system?
Also, how many grandchildren will I have?
I think that's it....
July 30, 2008 @09:25pm
michaelhoddy

Is the FW-1082 compatible with Logic? Yes. Is it compatible with Pro Tools? No, at least not the audio side. I'm not certain if the Tascam software driver will allow you to trick Pro Tools into thinking it's a standalone control surface. I know this could be done using HUI emulation on the US-2400, but I don't know if it will on the 1082.
The M-Powered hardware is not compatible with PT HD on the audio side, but certain models are of course compatible with PT LE. I would expect that unless the ProjectMix can run in an emulation mode, it will not work with HD as a control surface, but I could be wrong. All in all, this seems to be a somewhat sketchy setup if you ask me.
July 31, 2008 @02:13am
dmaestas

I know this is an old thread but I had searched everywhere for an answer to this. Fortunately everyone was wrong.
I have a FW-1082 running on Pro Tools 10. Control surface works great. I get all 8 ports plus the SPDIF ports. Much more affordable solution in my case.
April 11, 2012 @03:59pm
michaelhoddy

It wasn't 4 years ago when the question was asked though, back under PT 7 or 8.
April 11, 2012 @05:46pm