0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Stereo vs Mono for Live sound and other

wibelr

I'm getting more into live sound mixing and wondering what opinions you have on whether and how to use stereo inputs from band FX devices. Like from:
- Guitar players and Vocals stereo FX processors
- Multiple keyboards with stereo outs
What's normal practice of handling multiple keyboards from one player?
What's normal practice for mixing a mic'ed drums set? Sub mix drums on a separate mixer and then stereo or mono feed to main mixer?
Do you do stereo or mono feeds to IEM's? I think a mono feed would drive me nuts.
Thanks for your advice :)
July 21, 2008 @09:25pm
DAS

A lot of these are personal preference type questions, or situationally dependent. Not sure there is an always normal way for all of them that can be applied. In general effects and keyboards with stereo outputs can be run mono by either using only one of the outputs or by summing the two outputs together.
Multiple boards from one player? Most live sound engineers would prefer to have each one on its own channel, but circumstances and specifics my make it easier to submix them on stage or elsewhere. It just depends....
Yes, I prefer stereo IEM's. It's a much more satisfying sound and it's usually easier to pick things out of the mix in stereo.
July 21, 2008 @09:39pm
Tarktones

I usually let the room decide if I'm doing stereo or mono. If it's someplace really big where if you're near one side of the stage you won't hear anything from the other... I'll keep it pretty close to mono. If both sides have good projection and you can get a stereo image even from being on one side or the other, I'll let the left and right diverge a bit more. I almost never do anything in full-width stereo though. If you start hard panning the audience starts missing parts.
July 21, 2008 @11:08pm
jluv

do it in stereo if you have the system and the open channels...we run right out of our FX boxes for all guitars and the sound is incredible...
July 27, 2008 @05:50pm
charbobs

I agree, Stereo if you have the channels and space, I use stereo allways with my board and I love it.
July 28, 2008 @11:19pm
Tarktones

Yeah but consider the room. I've been to outdoor festivals that were mixed in stereo and the only thing it did was make sure that I couldn't hear half the guitar solos at all.
BTW, welcome to the board, charbobs!!!
July 28, 2008 @11:44pm
charbobs

Thank You for the welcome,
Sure Stereo can be used wrong, but I really like it when I use the Keyboard and Vocalizer in Stereo, I also use my drum machine in Stereo so it does a great job for me. So it has to be used wisely.
July 29, 2008 @01:16am