0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Presidents' Day Sale!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Drum mixer

Toby

I'm in the market for a mixer for drumset to send mix to main house board. I think I'd need 12 to 16 channels, noise gates, compressors, monitor capability. Anyone with experience and/ or suggestions? Price is, as always, a factor. (Lower = Better)
Thanks in advance for replies. Great forums!
Toby
October 22, 2002 @06:35pm
DAS

You might check out the Roland VM-7100. It will do everything you mentioned and much more, plus we have them at an insanely low price right now.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VMBasic71/?action=nolog
October 22, 2002 @09:32pm
cmchamp

Yup, that's what I'd recommend also. If you were just concerned with sending a well mixed dry signal and not worried about processing, I'd recommend an Allen&Heath MixWizard for it's EQ and aux options. Since you mentioned the desire to process, compress, gate, verb your channels, Digital would be the way to go. You could easily double the cost of the VM-7100 with separate pieces.
October 23, 2002 @04:10am
Toby

Thanks for the advice. Looks like a winner.
Any other opinions?
Toby
October 23, 2002 @08:48pm
cmchamp

Well, the other route would be a Yamaha O1RV if you're looking at a digital mixer.
If your concerned about road worthiness and wanting opinions on an analog mixer, again, I'd recommend the Allan & Heath MixWizard series for it's EQ and aux flexibility. The other option would be a Mackie 1604VLZPro. With either of these, you'll want to add your dynamics and FX processors as well as EQ. Again, loads of dough, depends on what you're comfortable with using live.
October 23, 2002 @08:55pm
Toby

Would you comment on the relative differences between the Roland VM-7100 and Yamaha 01V (I didn't find an 01RV) I see the additional 2 channels. I appreciate your input and value any opinion.
Thanks, Toby
October 24, 2002 @06:04pm
cmchamp

Toby:
Sorry for the model # error. I've not used the Roland VM-7100, though I have used the O1V on a limited basis. Depending on how much processing you want, the 01V might do the trick. The Roland I believe is much more flexible and would have best option to have the right number of mic inputs for you. I think the 01V only has 6 or 8.
If it comes down to a couple hundred bucks difference, I guess I'd get the VM.
You've got a Music Emporium on Silver Springs Blvd. Why don't you see what they have. Let them know what you want to do, see if they'll let you set something up to demo the 01V and VM-7100 side by side. Can't hurt to ask.
October 24, 2002 @07:37pm