0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 3

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Help With Passive XLR Input Speakers!!

MrMc808

Hey all
a friend of mine gave me a couple of old school
Tannoy Puma Speakers which are non-powered and have XLR inputs and XLR slave outs if daisy chaining.
These speakers are 8ohms and 150w but the thing is I don't got a power amp to use these speakers? Any suggestions?
I was thinking maybe converting the XLR to Speakons or TRS 1/4''?
Maybe this would work?
But can XLR's carry speaker levels?
Please help I really would like to use these and since stores around here don't really carry much sound equipment i would have to order, otherwise I have a couple of heavy boxes that take up space!
July 2, 2008 @12:52am
DAS

But can XLR's carry speaker levels?

Yes, up to a point. In most cases an XLR connector makes a better electrical connection than a quarter inch connector. It will probably work ok for the power levels you'll be using. You'll just need to come up with an XLR that terminates to whatever your power amp connection is. I wouldn't recommend using standard mic cable though (this would be tempting since they have XLR's). The wire gauge isn't heavy enough, and the shield wire, which may be acting as a common ground for both channels (since you mention a daisy chain port), may be too high of an impedance. Step 1 is to figure out how those connectors wire into the speakers themselves (I can think of several possibilities), then make or get someone to make you cables out of heavy enough wire to do the job.
Or, as you wrote, you could just change out the connectors.
July 2, 2008 @12:39pm
Rad

I have a related question:
Many preamps have line-level outputs as XLR connectors, yet the line-ins on the interface I use are 1/4" TRS jacks.
I can't seem to find short patch cables that go from XLR to TRS, and further,
on most consoles, line-in's are all 1/4" jacks. I can't figure why on earth they make preamps this way?
July 9, 2008 @08:38pm
JeffBarnett

MrMc808 -
You either need to make your own speaker cables using heavy-gauge speaker wire and XLR connectors (or have them built custom - Sweetwater can help you with this if you'd like), or replace the connectors on the speakers themselves. If this is an option, that's probably what I would do as it would help avoid confusion down the road and make the speakers compatible with off-the-shelf speaker cables.
I have a related question:
Many preamps have line-level outputs as XLR connectors, yet the line-ins on the interface I use are 1/4" TRS jacks.
I can't seem to find short patch cables that go from XLR to TRS, and further,
on most consoles, line-in's are all 1/4" jacks. I can't figure why on earth they make preamps this way?
I'm not sure I can answer the "why" question, but here are the cables.
July 9, 2008 @08:49pm
DAS

The why has a lot to do with the following.
TRS - less expensive and takes less room.
XLR - more expensive and more robust connection.
July 9, 2008 @10:00pm
howlingwolf487

I have a related question:...and further,

XLR's are more expensive, yes, and also tend to be more robust, but it's also to save space on the console AND to make sure you don't put a line level signal (+4dBu/-10dBv) into an input expecting a mic level signal (-50dBuish)
July 31, 2008 @02:28pm