0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
February Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Alesis 32 and HD 24 connectivity

wbalsam1

Hi: This is my first post and I'm looking forward to some seasoned wisdom.
I've been using Alesis 32 mixers and XT-20 ADATs in the studio for a long time. The 32's are constantly acting up and I'm thinking of going to the HD 24 and wondering what type of board would fit.
My hopes are to stay in the analogue mixing realm since I will occassionally want to connect the HD 24 to my Tascam M600 analogue board.
If I could find a good used 32, would this mixer connect up to the HD 24?
It seems like the TRS snakes would match up nicely.:)
July 1, 2008 @01:13am
Tarktones

That should work out just fine. The HD24 is a rock solid unit.
July 2, 2008 @03:56pm
jpleong

If you're going to stay in the analogue realm, my suggestion is to pony up the extra $500 dollars for the XR upgrade. The converters, themselves, are better (it's not just an increase in sample rate).
JP
July 2, 2008 @04:39pm
aitikin

Or pony up and get it modded.
July 2, 2008 @05:50pm
Tarktones

Know of anyone modding HD24XR's?
July 2, 2008 @06:51pm
aitikin

Sorry, I was meaning the Joe Williams mod for the regular HD24s. I haven't heard or used the XRs.
July 2, 2008 @10:19pm
wbalsam1

If you're going to stay in the analogue realm, my suggestion is to pony up the extra $500 dollars for the XR upgrade. The converters, themselves, are better (it's not just an increase in sample rate).
JP

Will sample rate affect the signal when mixing thru an analogue deck? Will I be able to eq the signal, etc.?
July 2, 2008 @11:14pm
jpleong

The higher sampling rates are "technically" superior in sonic quality (there's great debate about whether 44.1k vs 96k makes a huge difference). The XR converters also have better filters (and, hence, the better sound) than the stock HD24.
At this juncture, though, I would opinion that your analog gear (both the Tascam and the Alesis 32s) will be your next crutch. They're not the best analog consoles available.
JP
July 3, 2008 @12:04am
wbalsam1

The higher sampling rates are "technically" superior in sonic quality (there's great debate about whether 44.1k vs 96k makes a huge difference). The XR converters also have better filters (and, hence, the better sound) than the stock HD24.
At this juncture, though, I would opinion that your analog gear (both the Tascam and the Alesis 32s) will be your next crutch. They're not the best analog consoles available.
JP

I agree that there are better analogue consoles out there. But unless I hit the lotto I'm staying with my Tascam M600. This console is crystal clear. Pristine. I use Amek 9098's thru it and the signals are gorgeous. The Alesis 32 has been like a sketch pad mixer for me to quickly jot down ideas directly to the XT-20's and then played back thru the M600 for mixing.
But I'm wondering if I can find another decent 32 mixer on EBay, if it would readily match up to the HD24XR. I suspect I won't have a bit of a problem matching the HD24XR to the M600.
Thanks for taking the time to discuss this with me. (all of you):)
July 3, 2008 @12:17am
Ted

Sorry, I was meaning the Joe Williams mod for the regular HD24s.

It's actually Jim Williams, not Joe...
July 3, 2008 @01:29pm