0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Whos the best blues guitarist?

guitartabbooks

I just wanted to know everyones opinion, on who they might rate as the best blues guitarist, and why? My favorite is Johnny Winter, as I like his steel guitar slide blues.
Scott Morris
October 5, 2002 @04:02am
David Klausner

I'm not going to get into a "best" guitarist discussion - there are so many tremendous players out there it gets into personal opinions (and my own opinions usually vary depending on who I'm listening to at the moment anyway!). Having said that, if you dig Johnny Winter, you should check out Sonny Landreth. Absolutely amazing Louisiana cajun/blues/etc. slide guitar player. If you dig blues, check out his solo on "Brokenhearted Road" from last year's "Levee Town" record. He's also got an all blues record due out soon (recorded on gear from Sweetwater - shameless plug).
October 7, 2002 @05:09pm
guitartabbooks

Witty.(Gee, imagine that, being part of this forum)
Thank you for such a good call. Oddly enough, I have spent several years of my career, developing all of the Vai, Malmsteen, Rhoads techniques. However, in my youth, my instructor, had made me learn many "Lightning Hopkins" recitals, which at the time, I wasnt quite sure what to think of, which upon hearing Johnny Winter for the first time, those progressions, and scale work, sounded only all to familiar, yet with a bit more of an upbeat tempo and spice. Now, I look back as I continue to re listen to the ole "Lightning" tunes and have much more appreciation in my older age ( age 41). I especially enjoy some of the stories he told inbetween songs at his live performances. The cajun blues with the steel slide guitar seems to be such a smooth relaxing sound. It's almost as if you can feel the next notes that are heading your way.
I guess point case scenario would be, peoples taste change over time, sometimes, only to realize that you end up back to where you started , only with more value and appreciation. After all of those years of studying the erotic scales and techniques of all the great flash players, I found myself "going back" to the roots I grew up on.
Thanks for the tip on the recording.
Scott
October 7, 2002 @06:39pm
Behemoth

Not sayin he is the best Guitarist and not being a blues man wouldnt really have a comparison but ive been listin to Rory Gallagher lately and am startin to understand what its all about and would recommend him if you havent checked him out.
October 8, 2002 @08:34pm
guitartabbooks

Hey
Good Call
Unfortunately, I actually went to one of his concerts in my youth. Which is why now I prefer Mt Dew:D
I missed the entire show
Age 16, and Captain Party
My friends held this sign
On a serious note.....................This man can without a doubt, kick some butt. I'm suprised to get this reply. Not many seem to have heard of or remember him. Kind of like Robin Trower. Everyone thought he was the next Hendrix, then a few years later........It was like , Robin Who?
Where did you first learn of R.G.?
Scott
October 8, 2002 @09:33pm
Behemoth

well i am actually from Ireland myself, but the first time i heard of him was from my dad who had the tattoed lady LP and the europe tour. so last year i bought him a present of the Against the grain album and kept it for myself and from there i went on to buy most of his other albums
October 9, 2002 @05:19pm
guitartabbooks

To make this up to your dad, you should take him to a R.G Concert!
:D
Im sure that would compensate
October 9, 2002 @09:25pm
Behemoth

You do of course realise that he has been dead for several years
October 10, 2002 @08:42pm
guitartabbooks

Unfortunately, in my opinion, all of my favorite guitarist of the past who are no longer with us, NEVER got the recognition they desreved when they were alive. Hendrix, Rhoads, Vaughn, Gallagher, and so many more.
Not to mention it makes me repulsively ill, when others try to cash in , by selling thier memrobilia, and "new unreleased recordings"
I recently read in a different forum, that my old time hero "Ozzy" (I grew up as a big Black Sabbath fan) had just released some of Randys unheard stuff without the permission of Deloris Rhoads (Randys mother).
Dont quote me on that, as it was only something I had recently read. However, if so true, I'm afriad I've lost a bit of respect for an old time hero.
On a bright note, thanks for making me aware. Possibly a good idea, would be a tribute guitar lesson, or article on Rory Gallagher. Something for FREE that could be contributed to music appreciation. Your input?
October 11, 2002 @04:15am
Lori

No one has mentioned Lightnin Hopkins or Muddy Waters, or have they, sorry Im new to this!
October 16, 2002 @06:19am
guitartabbooks

If you were to search the archives, I think I have mentioned Lightning Hopkins more than anyone. In my youth, my teacher used to make learn his reciptals. I still love listening to the storys ole Lightning would tell inbetween his songs at live performances. That guy was so special in so many ways.
You rock babe!
Good music appreciation.
October 16, 2002 @04:17pm
Fishin Magician

Eric Clapton calls Buddy Guy the best. Hard to argue.
November 26, 2002 @06:28pm
guitartabbooks

Ive been thinking about this issue for quite sometime. Would it be fair to assume that the best is yet to come?
November 26, 2002 @11:22pm
David Klausner

As with athletes, I think through time there is a combination of performance increase through better training (and more time to dedicate to practice) and the broader knowledge of being exposed to a wider variety of techniques, etc. This tends to produce more technically adept, better rounded players as time goes on. I think that is why we see more young guys with phenomenal technique, like Joe Bonamassa and Derek Trucks.
Talent, musicality, emotion, and soul are things that can't be taught, however, and there are unique players from every era who deserve to be recognized for what they brought to the table. Listen to Blind Willie Johnson some time, and tell me which of today's bluesmen have his particular kind of soul. Try to transcribe some of the deceptively simple rhythms of someone like Skip James, and tell me who today has that unique a feel. The list goes on and on.
Personally, I feel there are probably more really good players out there now than ever before, with many more to come. Past a certain level, when somebody has something truly unique to say, I don't think you can talk in terms of "better" or "best". For example, Buddy Guy is the best "Buddy Guy style" guitar player there is. If John Doe of the future takes his style and expounds on it to the point that he has made enough of an improvement that we might be tempted to call him a better player, he would then no longer be a "Buddy Guy style" player, but would have taken it to a new place, and be the best "John Doe style" player, and Buddy would still be the original, best "Buddy Guy style" guitarist.
There are only two kinds of music, good and bad. Here's to the good stuff.
November 27, 2002 @03:27pm
Lori

:) Ok, I have been thinking about this for some time now, and I would probably have to say that Muddy Waters is the best blues guitarist, its a tough.
Lori
November 27, 2002 @09:43pm