0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

reason effects in pro tools

vanman4254

Could someone please tell me if and/or how to use the reason effects such as the reverb, delay, compression on previously recorded acoustic tracks in pro tools such as the vocals, guitar, drums ect. Im trying to use those effects as an insert on my tracks and am having no luck. Not sure what Im doing wrong. Im routing the effects to the reason interface and putting an insert on the PT track but am not getting signal. I just want to try out those effects instead of my rtas plugins. Im new to reason. Just thought I would ask. thanks
March 11, 2008 @05:19am
Smithcok

Could someone please tell me if and/or how to use the reason effects such as the reverb, delay, compression on previously recorded acoustic tracks in pro tools such as the vocals, guitar, drums ect. Im trying to use those effects as an insert on my tracks and am having no luck. Not sure what Im doing wrong. Im routing the effects to the reason interface and putting an insert on the PT track but am not getting signal. I just want to try out those effects instead of my rtas plugins. Im new to reason. Just thought I would ask. thanks

Reason doesn't open within Pro Tools as effects. Rather, you have to use the ReWire plug-in to get audio from Reason to Pro Tools. You can't route audio to Reason, only MIDI. (So, you aren't able to use Reason's effects on any audio in Pro Tools).
March 11, 2008 @01:50pm
frankz

There is a workaround if you really want to try out the Reason FX.
A little awkward, but if you bounce a track down and save it as a Wave or AIFF file, you can then import it back into Reason in the NN-XT Sampler. Then you can not only use the FX thru the Mixer Aux sends but you can use the filters in the NN-XT itself and you can also hook up FX units directly to the NN-XT itself.
I actually use this feature quite often with my composing.
Start the ideas in Reason and once I get something I like going, I rewire Reason to Digital Performer (also works with PT) and start recording Reason tracks into DP audio. I don't always commit everything right away as I'll often want to change midi parts as I work. But then I'll take sections of a track or tracks, like a mix of drums and percussion, bounce it to an audio file, bring it back into the Reason NN-XT, mess with it to get something different and interesting, then record that back onto a new track in DP. Then I have a different section to break down to or cut back and forth from in a mix.
Having come from the days of hardware samplers, I always loved what dropping an octave does to drums and percussion or sustained guitar sounds.
Assign the audio file to say C3 on the NN-XT, extend it so it goes down to C2 and then trigger the C2 in Reason with your midi note. The file will be not only 1 octave lower but twice as long (slows it down).The trick is to keep it in octave increments so it stays in time with the existing track. This is also useful for Drum & Bass style. Just go up in octaves. Can't find a D&B drum part you like, write a nice R&B type drum groove in Reason, bounce it to AIFF or Wave, put it in the NN-XT, find the higher trigger note/tempo that works right for your idea and then start your tune based on that.
You can take a whole mixed song, put it into Reason in the NN-XT, mess with it in various ways, record different manipulations back into your DAW, and then have interesting break down sections to incorporate into yet another mix of the song in your DAW. Possibilities are endless. But it can all be a lot of fun.
Hope this sparks some ideas that work for you.
March 20, 2008 @05:50am
picker69

Export audio track as wave file. Open wave file in recycle.
Save as rx2 file. Import rx2 file into Dr. Rex loop player in reason. send to track.
March 30, 2008 @03:48am