0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

ProTools won't install

newshound

I'm using an Intel-based iMac running Leopard and can NOT get Pro Tools LE 7.3 or 7.4 to install.
I keep getting these error messages:
The installer could not write the receipt for DigiRack Plug-Ins... and
The System extension "/System/Library/Extensions/DigiIO.kext" was installed improperly and can not be used. Please reinstall or contact product's vendor for an update.
I've gone into the library extensions and trashed DigiIO.Kext... and everything else that's connected to Digidesign, but each time I try to install the software, it fails.
Has anyone else ever run into this?
February 20, 2008 @02:00am
Smithcok

You know, I don't know the forum rules... mods, please edit me if I can't do this.
This is a slight bit of shameless promotion, but check out this page on thestudiofiles. It should be able to help (as the answer is really long to type here).
February 20, 2008 @02:16am
Andrew_Malloy

That is some good info actually. I would want to point out that the Waves thing is now resolved as well with version 5.9.7.
February 20, 2008 @02:37pm
newshound

As suggested, I installed OS X 10.5.1. It makes absolutely no difference.
I continue to get the same error messages.
I've dragged the DigiIO.kext and DigiDal.kext files to the trash, emptied it .. did a clean uninstall.. and restarted. Nada.
I'm more than a little frustrated with PT.
February 20, 2008 @08:08pm
Andrew_Malloy

According to our rep at Digidesign, I know that full support for Leopard is coming very soon for Pro Tools LE. Really at this point, the best thing to do would be wait for an update.
February 20, 2008 @08:29pm
tech1

So everyone's aware that Pro Tools LE is not compatible with Leopard yet, right? Digidesign even specifically tells everyone on their website: http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=3&langid=100&categoryid=35&itemid=28371
My question is...why are you trying to force something to work which the manufacturer tells you will not work?
February 20, 2008 @08:53pm
Smithcok

Well, for some people, it was just eagerness to upgrade (obviously their own fault).
For some people, myself included (although I had a backup), we literally had to upgrade our computer, were Apple users, and were stuck with Leopard.
I tried a few different things trying to get Tiger running on my Mac Pro, but I couldn't find anyone with an aluminum iMac install disk... oh well.
Hopefully soon! Obviously Digidesign wants to make everything work... Contrary to many beliefs, they are not the evil "man" who likes to have a clutch hold on the poor customers. They just actually take the time to test and approve everything so that they know it will work. (Unfortunately for us, that means the waiting game)
Newshound - did you do a clean wipe and install of the OS? A few people said it only worked when they did that, but others still had no luck...
February 20, 2008 @09:12pm
newshound

The reason I'm trying to install PT is that there seems to be no shortage of people with Leopard who say they've managed to install and run this software. That, I believe, was the implied reason to upgrade from 10.5 to 10.5.1: it will allow one to run Pro Tools.
I'm aware that Digidesign hasn't yet approved Pro Tools LE with Leopard... and you're right, I should wait.
I guess it's time to install Logic Express 8 and see if it works with my computer.
February 20, 2008 @09:37pm
Smithcok

The reason I'm trying to install PT is that there seems to be no shortage of people with Leopard who say they've managed to install and run this software. That, I believe, was the implied reason to upgrade from 10.5 to 10.5.1: it will allow one to run Pro Tools.
I'm aware that Digidesign hasn't yet approved Pro Tools LE with Leopard... and you're right, I should wait.
I guess it's time to install Logic Express 8 and see if it works with my computer.

Actually, I have a series of articles going for people that are switching from Pro Tools to Logic on my site thestudiofiles.com :) You might want to check them out, they help with the transition.
But, (sorry if you answered this and I missed it) did you actually do a full wipe and reinstall of Leopard? If you upgraded from Tiger originally, this has an even better chance of fixing the problem. While many people are running Pro Tools on 10.5.1, there are a lot of instances where certain hardware/computer combinations just don't seem to work.
February 20, 2008 @09:57pm
newshound

As is almost everything with me, things seem very clear in retrospect.
I was in the process of installing Logic Express 8 when my computer said that it would be glad to install it, but not ALL of it, since I lacked the proper authorization. This made me think of a snafu I've had all along with my Mac: even though I'm the only one to use it, I'm not recognized as the Administrator. I've come up with a cumbersome workaround but I decided it was time to call Apple. After a quick call to India, I was able to reset the computer so that it recognizes my login as the Admin.
Problem solved. I was able to install Pro Tools without a problem. It took a bit but I got the hardware up and running.
That said, since I opened the shrinkwrap on Logic Express 8, I can't return it... nor do I want to. I'm still interested in using Logic as an alternate front end to the Digidesign Mbox.
February 21, 2008 @12:21am
Smithcok

Yeah, having logic can't be a bad thing. If you can upgrade to the full out version, I would recommend it. I really like it
A) its a great program
B) more and more people are using it, so you may then have the capability to work with more people
Glad you got it all working.
Hopefully Digidesign will update soon!
February 21, 2008 @12:34am
DaveProduce

I had the same problem today but non of this replies have worked by any means my protools was working as sweet sugar this morning
but as I tried to install BDF lite it just stopped working I already erase everything including that crap of BDF but still won't work. HELP Dying out here.
November 6, 2008 @04:05am
Smithcok

You should do a complete uninstall of Pro Tools.
Then make sure your computer is running 10.5.4 (*I think, check Digidesign's page for compatibility)
Then do a CLEAN install of the latest Leopard compatible PT (7.4.2cs?), which if you haven't downloaded it already will be free for you since you have 7.4
November 6, 2008 @04:50am
Harryabraham

Digidesign says it's compatable but I get the same error, the "/system/library/extensions/digiIO.xtext" thing. Any advice on getting it to work?
May 7, 2009 @04:20am