0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

A Mic for a Mandolin

zfender9

I am on a worship team and my mandolin player is looking for a microphone. I have been looking at a Shure SM57. Would this be a good microphone for a mandolin? Any advice would help.
January 30, 2008 @11:18pm
karlw

I am on a worship team and my mandolin player is looking for a microphone. I have been looking at a Shure SM57. Would this be a good microphone for a mandolin? Any advice would help.

An SM57 would certainly work, but the right choice of microphone depends on a lot of factors. Is this for sound reinforcement? If so, he might be better off with a pickup system so that he can get better gain before feedback, despite the less natural sound. A condenser mic will sound more natural on a mandolin than will a dynamic mic. The Neumann KM84 (no longer made) was one of the favorites, but something from Shure (SM81 or similar), AKG (C451 or similar) Rode (NT5) would all work.
-Karl
January 31, 2008 @06:01pm
michaelhoddy

Yes, mostly any decent small-diaphragm condenser would probably be the usual choice for something like this.
January 31, 2008 @09:57pm
zfender9

An SM57 would certainly work, but the right choice of microphone depends on a lot of factors. Is this for sound reinforcement? If so, he might be better off with a pickup system so that he can get better gain before feedback, despite the less natural sound. A condenser mic will sound more natural on a mandolin than will a dynamic mic. The Neumann KM84 (no longer made) was one of the favorites, but something from Shure (SM81 or similar), AKG (C451 or similar) Rode (NT5) would all work.
-Karl

I actually told my mandolin player that a pickup system would be better. But, he's stubborn and would rather have a mic. :)
Thanks for your help!
February 1, 2008 @12:23am
Ed Belknap

/thread
(seriously! Karl speakum da truth; that's all you need to know.)
February 1, 2008 @02:41pm