0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

basements, sump pumps, and music

soundcloset

there's a lot of info about what to do and what not to do in the case of basement studios .. just thought i'd ask for some opinions here .. for possible basement studios - any suggestions on how to handle the condensation thing? sump pump? dehumidifier? what kind? special considerations? share thoughts on basement studio construction as you'd like .. thanks much!
September 19, 2002 @06:37pm
MichaelS

Man, I just got through with the same deilmma and what I decided was this: If I have to worry ANY water around my stuff, my stuff is not going into that location. Dehumidifiers fail. Sump pumps fail.
I have a 8x8 post in my basement that is a support and it seems to go through the concrete floor of the basement. When it rains REAL hard, water comes up through where the post goes thru the concrete. Not a lot, but enuff to make me nervous having 70k in equipment down there. Therefore what was once a kitchen is now a control room. What was once a dining room/living room is now the main recording room of the studio. I just didn't want to take the chance.
September 19, 2002 @08:23pm
JeffBarnett

I know of at least one person who built a false floor with about 3" of clearance underneath it. It never rains hard enough to cause more than 1/2" of water on the floor, so his equipment is just fine. It's still insured, though.
September 19, 2002 @09:36pm