0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

pro tools

gaba

i hooked my oxegyn 61 midi keyboard into pro tools and i'm getting a signal, but i can't hear sound. also, how do i get effects, strings, drums, etc. in pro tools to use with the keyboard, is it easy to set up? thanks
December 30, 2007 @05:59am
TechKnowledgy

You can't hear MIDI because it is not audio. You need a software instrument to generate the sounds. Pro Tools should have come with Xpand, a free virtual instrument with a wide variety of sounds and effects. You just need to insert Xpand (or any other RTAS compatible plug-in instrument) on an instrument track. I think Digi has some good video tutorials on their site for getting started.
If you didn't get Xpand, you can get it free from their online store, you just have to pay a few bucks shipping.
January 4, 2008 @09:32pm
5454stevef

You can't hear MIDI because it is not audio. You need a software instrument to generate the sounds. Pro Tools should have come with Xpand, a free virtual instrument with a wide variety of sounds and effects. You just need to insert Xpand (or any other RTAS compatible plug-in instrument) on an instrument track. I think Digi has some good video tutorials on their site for getting started.
If you didn't get Xpand, you can get it free from their online store, you just have to pay a few bucks shipping.

You can also download it. It's pretty nice for a freebie. Good sounds, pretty flexible and easy to use. Several of the things that come with PTLE are ok, try the Reason plug-in, it has some ok things in it. It runs the whole app thru ReWire so you will see a corresponding consumption of resources, but I've never found it to be a hog.
About the instrument tracks, I've always had better luck setting up a separate MIDI track and Aux track with the VI in the Aux track as an insert.
Not a big fan of the instrument tracks, maybe its a case of old dogs not wanting to learn new tricks just to do the same thing in a different way, but sometimes I have problems getting them to work properly. It just seems easier to me to use separate tracks, and you have the flexibility also of being able to set up several instruments on separate Aux tracks and experiment with different sounds simply by changing the output of the MIDI track.
My .015 worth.
SF
January 5, 2008 @07:04pm
Tarktones

Actually, Xpand! requires the disc. You can download updates, but you need the disc to install initially. Unless you find a torrent file somewhere...
January 5, 2008 @07:22pm
5454stevef

Actually, Xpand! requires the disc. You can download updates, but you need the disc to install initially. Unless you find a torrent file somewhere...

Huh.... I would have bet anything I downloaded it, I sure don't recall having ordered a disk, but looking at the digi site it appears that's the way it is. Maybe they've changed the policy since I got it, or it could just be my shrinking brain. Or it might have come with PT when I upgraded to 7.3, I don't remember.
Beats me. Sorry about posting erroneous info.
SF
January 5, 2008 @07:26pm
Tarktones

lol no worries. I believe they do ship the disc with upgrades.
January 5, 2008 @10:09pm
gaba

i found that xpand does come as a plugin with pro tools 7.3 BUT i bought this computer from someone who had the discs for protools 6 versions, and the pro tools 7 version was a BURNT disc. So, things are missing i guess. Should i just install the older version or keep 7.3 and just install the plug ins myself? i have Reason, an older version and Live lite, but i'm clueless as to how to use them with the VI (setup and all). Because i bought this mac from someone used, most of the instructions on things are missing, so i'm trying to figure it out myself. if anyone could take the time to help that would be great. Thank you I'll try a couple of the suggested solutions in the meantime.
January 5, 2008 @11:46pm