0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
#WinYourWestones

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Reason or Pro Tools?

gaba

I am pretty new at pro tools and looking to start using my midi keyboard. is pro tools or reason a better program for music production?
i have pro tools 7.3 and want to get the best use out of it, but i see postings about Reason all over the place.
December 29, 2007 @04:39am
Smithcok

Reason does not handle audio, so if you are doing music that involves recording, you will need a DAW (such as Pro Tools).
However, Reason can be used in Pro Tools as a Rewire device, so it is easy to access all the Reason sounds.
December 29, 2007 @06:48pm
gaba

i have reason, but i have protools 7.3 so the rewire is not working...the reason is not showing up as a plugin in pro tools. therefore, i guess i need a newer version of reason, correct? also, isn't there a program that ships free with pro tools now as a plug in for effects? should i just use that, or would i still need a program like reason or live? i have live....i just don't know how to work any of it. Basically, i'm trying to hook my keyboard into pro tools and i get a signal, but hear no sound. i just want to play the keyboard in pro tools and record, and use effects, drums, strings, etc. thanks
December 30, 2007 @05:53am
Force Effect

I use Reason and Adobe Audition. I have Pro Tools M-Powered, but don't use it. Audition does everything I need it to do.
The Violent Truth was done with just Reason 3 and Audition:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=262223077
February 13, 2008 @07:06pm
Audioholic

I believe a limited edition of reason shipps with pro tools, it works well, but doesn't have as many sounds as the full version would have. Reason is decent, though I can think of many other soft synths I would choose over reason to create good music, depending on your sound and style preference of course.
If you are not getting reason to work, make sure all your software and os versions are compadible, and get support help if needed.
February 13, 2008 @09:43pm
5454stevef

i have reason, but i have protools 7.3 so the rewire is not working...the reason is not showing up as a plugin in pro tools. therefore, i guess i need a newer version of reason, correct? also, isn't there a program that ships free with pro tools now as a plug in for effects? should i just use that, or would i still need a program like reason or live? i have live....i just don't know how to work any of it. Basically, i'm trying to hook my keyboard into pro tools and i get a signal, but hear no sound. i just want to play the keyboard in pro tools and record, and use effects, drums, strings, etc. thanks

The program that's bundled with PT LE is Reason Adapted, which is a limited version of Reason that can be used as a plug-in thru ReWire in Pro Tools. I've had some difficulty getting it to play more from than one module at a time, but maybe that's just me not setting it up properly.
Reason Adapted has several of the same modules found in the full version, but with a lot less content; also the "sampler" module is not capable of playing .wav files as samples, you have to use the ones provided, a meager "sampling" indeed. One thing that is kind of nice is the drum machine module will play .wav samples, so you can drop in sound effects, etc. or your own drum samples.
Also I believe PT ships with Xpand!, a freebie synth plug-in, which actually sounds very good and is spectacularly easy to use. If you have a version of PT that didn't ship with it, I think you can order the plug on CD.
You can download digi's Structure Free, a pretty nice sample player.
Any of those should get you started.
SF
February 14, 2008 @02:07am
5454stevef

One thing that might be helpful in having other people pick up on what you're asking is to clear up a couple of bits of nomenclature. When people talk about "effects" they're usually referring to plug-ins or hardware devices that alter audio signals in some way, such as compressors, equalizers, reverbs, and so on. The kinds of things you're interested in, judging from the context of your post, are typically called virtual instruments, because they actually produce sound.
It's a minor point, but it might help in the future.
Also, since no one has responded to the question about how to get the VI's to work in the first place, here's a short rundown.
Connect your keyboard controller midi output to the midi input on your midi interface.
PT 7 has something called an instrument track that combines a midi track and instrument plug-in in one track but I'm not real crazy about them , and in fact have had trouble getting them to work properly - I usually use the "old" method described below.
Create a midi track. Set the input of this track to the midi port and channel used by your controller. Since I only have one controller I usually just leave this set to "all".
Create an auxiliary track. Open an instantiation of a virtual instrument such as Xpand!, etc. in the "inserts" section of the track.
Set the output of the midi track to send midi to the virtual instrument. You should see a list of all instruments that are active at the time, just pick the one you want to use - once you're just getting started you'll probably have only one. If you are using Reason, you'll see a list of Reason modules including a drum machine, sampler, etc., just pick the one you want to use.
Hit the record button on the midi track and play a bit, you should hear the virtual instrument playing.
Midi tracks record in the same manner as audio tracks, you just record-enable the midi track and transport record button and hit play. One thing that's really nice for those of us who are keyboard challenged is you can use the midi "merge" button on the transport to allow you to record new midi notes into an existing midi track. This is great for doing drum tracks, you can loop a segment and add drum hits the same way you do real-time recording on a hardware drum machine.
SF
SF
February 16, 2008 @05:57pm
Dongottaghost

Does anyone have the authorization code for Protools 6.4; can you direct me to a usable site?
June 15, 2008 @06:37am
scottdemarko

Does anyone have the authorization code for Protools 6.4; can you direct me to a usable site?

I believe you need to contact digidesign directly. www.digidesign.com
June 16, 2008 @12:59pm