0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

average engineer salary?

chrsw198

hello to all i just attended the recording workshop and want to get out in the field im going to make some cards and give them to bands but im not sure how much to charge for services any ideas? what are you guys charging and what services are you offering for them?
thank you
this smily is awesome
September 16, 2002 @11:48pm
JeffBarnett

Sad to say, most of the engineer / private studio owners I have known have not been able to earn a full-time salary at it, despite their best efforts and obvious talents. The best way to earn a living in this business is still to get an entry-level job working for a larger studio, and work your way up through the ranks. The money ranges from "almost nothing" to "very impressive," depending on the studio and how far up the ladder you've been able to climb. An audio engineering degree helps, but is no guarantee of success. A college internship (ie: working for free) is a great way to get your foot in the door.
(By the way, all of the nonsense about the smilies has been moved to its own thread now.)
September 18, 2002 @07:40pm
cmchamp

Well, I'll tell you. I presently charge $45/hr studio time for the walk in client. For a college where I'm contracted as the audio tech, I charge $10/hr tech rehearsal, $25/hr tracking and $35/hr mixing down and mastering.
Live sound, I've got a rate sheet, if you email me, I'll send it to you.
October 8, 2002 @01:11am
dpaton

In college I was a live sound tech/engineer with the IATSE local, I pulled in between $15 and $40/hr, depending on the gig (local band to Smashing Punpkins) and my responsibilities (box pusher to union steward).
I've since quite live sound, moved away, retired my IA card and opened my own basement demo studio. I charge $40/hr flat rate for studio time, and $50/hr for work beyond a basic mix. I also put together a few package deals for bands that want to make a 1, 3 or 5 song demo and don't exceed a certian amount of hours.
Sadly, I can barely compete these days. Most bands balk at $50/hr, and the offers for $25-30 barely pay for 24 tracks worth of tapes. I've been marginally successful doign 8-track demos for some of the local high school bands. Unfortunately, since everyone has a Digi001 now, almost no one seems to want the benefits of an accoustically correct live room, good mics for vocal overdubs, a low noise floor, the warmth of mixdown-to-analog-tape or the knowledge that a professional can bring to things. Hell, if they ask nicely, I even include lengthy preproduction counseling before studio time. I want these guys to succeed, and I want them to succeed with my help, but they don't seem to see it as being worth the investment.
The only people I ever met who managed to make a living in sound were employed by a venue, or worked for a tour sound company (dB in Chicago, Rat in CA)/recording studio (Todd-AO in NYC).
-dave
October 14, 2002 @08:26pm
cjogo

We specialize in solo/duo artists....who have ideas and need accompanying/arrangement for their songs---we have a three song minium which includes semi mastering & about 10 hours per song for $3000
cjogo
http://fp2k.redshift.com/cjogo/crystalrecording.htmwe arrange the
October 22, 2002 @07:14am
sebastian_renix

The recording industry is really tough right now for studios without label contracts and for independent engineers and producers. I agree with dpaton's description of the current scene--musicians, especially younger ones, don't see the value of the professional recording engineer.
For me and my business, audio for video production has proven the most profitable with field recording in a tight second. We offer everything from business conference recording using lav's and shotgun mics to 16 track 24 bit live band recording. Here are what some of our prices are like:
-Sound Man for a film or video shoot (brings 1 suitcase full of gear)--$350/day
-Sound Man with recording gear (minidisc, DAT, laptop)--$450/day
-Up to 8 track field recording for bands--$250/day
-Up to 16 track field recording for bands--$300/day
-Post Production--$35/hour
-Custom Sound (for film, video, TV)--this is the one that varies the most. I've scored the music for episodes of MTV's Road Rules ($1500 for about 30 minutes of music) and I've put in sound effects for independent films for $350/day.
The best thing you can do is work hard and USE YOUR EARS. People will appreciate it and your reputation will spread. Once you get a good rep, you'll always be in demand no matter what you're working on.
-Renix
November 4, 2002 @05:12am