We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

m-audio torq vs. serato

robflux

Haven't been on the site in a minute but have finally decided to add a digital rig to my set up... Serato seems to be the industry standard (if there really is one!!), but I've been reading about the torq which is a couple hundred cheaper. Any thoughts??
Also, planning on upgrading my laptop to handle the new stuff, with a budget of about $1000. If any has either serato or torq can you guys recommend the minimum laptop computer (i.e. processor speed, memory, etc.) to do the job with no glitches?? Appreciate the help!!
Robflux
December 11, 2007 @07:52pm
scottdemarko

I started with Serato several yrs ago but the last year since about Oct of 2006 I have been using Torq.. Honestly minus a few minor things I am a bigger fan of Torq because of the remix features... However Serato is more established mainly because its several yrs older and its simple easy to use layout is a very likeable feature when first moving to a digital format.
Laptop wise, I really like the Macbooks...

Macbook 2.2 (Black)
2GB of Ram or better should be sufficient...
There is a Macbook that is $1099... but if I were you I'd save $500 more and get the one for $1499. Call me if you want to talk more about this or any other questions.. (reason for the more expensive mac is faster processor and more hard drive space in case you need to keep more music with you)
December 11, 2007 @08:24pm
Analogue

I just got M-Audio Torq/ Connectiv with control vinyl yesterday. I'll be using it mainly from a DJ/ Turntablist point of view.
I've had a quick play on Serato before and the M-Audio set-up seems pretty similar. Very slight latency I think (nothing that can't be compensated for). Also seems to have occasional problems with the current track skipping/ lagging when you try and load the next one simultaneously - but I think this is due to having only 256MB RAM. System requirement is 512MB and I'm getting an extra 1GB today so that should hopefully sort it.
Scratching and doubling/ juggling is totally possible and overall the package promises to be great fun, good value also at £160 (UK price from online mail order).
I will have some tracks/ skits recorded using it soon which I'll post at http://www.myspace.com/analogueonthecut.
January 15, 2008 @11:39am
scottdemarko

I just got M-Audio Torq/ Connectiv with control vinyl yesterday. I'll be using it mainly from a DJ/ Turntablist point of view.
I've had a quick play on Serato before and the M-Audio set-up seems pretty similar. Very slight latency I think (nothing that can't be compensated for). Also seems to have occasional problems with the current track skipping/ lagging when you try and load the next one simultaneously - but I think this is due to having only 256MB RAM. System requirement is 512MB and I'm getting an extra 1GB today so that should hopefully sort it.
Scratching and doubling/ juggling is totally possible and overall the package promises to be great fun, good value also at £160 (UK price from online mail order).
I will have some tracks/ skits recorded using it soon which I'll post at http://www.myspace.com/analogueonthecut.

EEEK. I'd recommend at least 2gb of Ram... To get the full quality results your looking for more ram & tweaking your computer so it is better prepared for audio streams would help a ton. I can only imagine if your computer only had 256 mb of Ram its older than dirt lol. Last time I saw a computer with that little RAM it had Windows 95 on it and it was 5+ years ago.
January 15, 2008 @02:04pm
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!