0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
April 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Recording a harmonium ?

Eastward_In_Eden

Last thread on this was begun in January 2003, so here goes once again.
Seems difficult to find anyone with personal experience in recording a harmonium in a small room. I will be using a mixer and headphones.
As always, I turn first to SoundOnSound magazine for expert advice and I'm thinking that a mic with a little coloration or darkness might be more ideal for harmonium recording that a super pristine, accurate studio condenser ?
Any help with this BEFORE I buy my first decent mic would be appreciated :)
Shanti
December 3, 2007 @04:29pm
howlingwolf487

I don't know exactly which microphone will give you that darkness you're looking for...a pair of Sony C-48's would be a bit warm even though they're solid-state condesners. Try AKG C414's...fiddle around with the patterns and palcement and see what sound you like.
December 4, 2007 @04:14am
Ted

If you're looking for a "darker" microphone you might try a ribbon...they're not necessarily dark, but certainly are smoother on the high end. They're my first choice on anything where I want a little edge taken off, but I don't want things to sound dull...things like solo fiddle, brass and many wind instruments, and many percussion instruments (even drum overheads, depending on the room and the cymbals). They're nice because they take to EQ very well so you really can sculpt the sound however you want without all that weird phasiness (is that a word?) you get when you equalize many condensers too much...
December 4, 2007 @04:19am
Eastward_In_Eden

Thanks to both of you.
The C414 is a beauty but I am thinking of sending the signal thru an Eventide and don't think I need "reference-grade" recording.
Ribbons have caught my attention and my sales rep, Matt C. has encouraged using them but cautioned against the very cheapest ones.
The over $1000 range is too much for me... how do the cheaper ones sound, and are they too delicate to use in a live situation indoors ? Thanks again !
December 5, 2007 @12:31pm
Ted

The only "cheaper" one I've used is still not a cheap microphone...it's the beyer M160...but since it's a hypercardioid microphone it would probably work very well in a live situation. I would treat them with a little more caution than I would a dynamic or even a condenser, but it should hold up fine.
December 5, 2007 @02:43pm