0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Which is the Best Multi Effect Pedal?

blind_illusion66

Which is your favorite multi effect pedal and why?
I quite like the Boss ME-50 and the GT8.
September 27, 2007 @07:56am
JNagarya

The one that most successfully masks the player's lack of playing skill.
Until fuzz, which first appeared in recording in 1965, there were only reverb and tremolo/vibrato -- in the amp. And the tremelo bar (those lacking knowledge of history call it "wammy"). And wah-wah first appeared in 1966-67.
So there were little or no means to mask lack of skill.
Don't get me wrong: I like some distortion -- overdrive comes to mind. And like fuzz and wah. But most of the "different" "effects" today are so much alike that they are indistinguishable from one another.
And amp "modeling"? I 'spose that's easier than actually learning how to get the effect on the guitar-amp combination without someone else's artificial means to imitating instead of creating.
September 27, 2007 @10:00am
Tarktones

I think that response was completely unnecessary and absolutely useless.
If you want to play Buddy Holly or Elvis tunes, sure just a straight tone from a tube amp is all you need. There are lots of players out there who are looking for a different sound.
Do you mean to tell me that because Ron Thal uses a digital modelling amplifier that he doesn't know how to play guitar? There's absolutely nothing that guy can't do on a guitar! It may not be the kind of music you like to listen to, but I don't think anyone out there would watch him or Steve Lukather or Mattias Eklundh play and think that their distortion and/or effects mask their "lack of skill." John Scofield has a bunch of effects on his guitar. Can he play?
The fact of the matter is that distortion and effects are popular because most people like the sound of them. There's a massive spectrum of distortion and ways to acheive it, and the most affordable way happens to be through effects pedals.
And for guitar history's sake, the guitar was not considered a lead instrument in bands until fuzz was introduced by using blown speakers to emulate the tone of a saxaphone being blasted. Since so many people liked the sound, it's become essential for most electric guitar players to have overdriven and distorted tones in their arsenal.
Amp modeling isn't about not knowing how to get the tone out of amps. It's about not having the money to buy a Blackface and a JMP and a Bogner Shiva and a Recto, etc... It's about giving those tones (or something similar to them) to players at a price they can afford. Get off the high horse already. If you don't have anything productive to contribute to someone's question, there's no need to respond.
And to finally address the question:
I really like the Eventide Eclipse and the TC Electronic G System because of the signal routing options and quality (gotta love Eventide's band delays). Although for much less I'll be excited to see IK Multimedia finally release the Amplitube Stomp I/O which, to my understanding, will include a standalone version of Amplitube 2 running on the floorboard hardware. Just get a good stereo tube power amp and viola! You'll be off and running.
September 27, 2007 @10:50pm
Lambo

The one that most successfully masks the player's lack of playing skill.
Until fuzz, which first appeared in recording in 1965, there were only reverb and tremolo/vibrato -- in the amp. And the tremelo bar (those lacking knowledge of history call it "wammy"). And wah-wah first appeared in 1966-67.
So there were little or no means to mask lack of skill.
Don't get me wrong: I like some distortion -- overdrive comes to mind. And like fuzz and wah. But most of the "different" "effects" today are so much alike that they are indistinguishable from one another.
And amp "modeling"? I 'spose that's easier than actually learning how to get the effect on the guitar-amp combination without someone else's artificial means to imitating instead of creating.

I hear what you're saying, but even the renowned players have all the bells and whistles in their arsenal from which to draw from. To your point though and I agree, technology should be used to augment artistic expression / talent and not mask / replace talent.
September 27, 2007 @10:51pm
RA2

You Should Definetly Go With The GT-8 Listen Here:
It's Just A Matter Of Time. Sometimes it's just better to show what you think. I'm playing the guitar. the gt-8 is the best multi-effects pedal i've come across. You can get everything from dream-space clean to rockin' above the clouds. any questions?
September 28, 2007 @05:28am
dwwave

While the Boss Units mentioned are both fabulous units , I have desk top
units of the POdxt (with 3 model packs added (it was buy 2 get one free
for $99.99) so its packed with Amps, Cabs, microphone and microphone
placements and a awesome amount of effect's (then a flash memory upgrade
added some more amps (including two from the Pod 2.0 that did not make it over to the Podxt (A Dumble and a Soldano) plus 2 or 4 more and 4 wah models and ? some mic pre-amps. (I did that upgrade awhile ago but I think I am pretty close on the Flsh Memory update (which was done to include capacity
for the Bass model pack)it also included user preset capacity from 64 to 124.
I also have a Vox Tonelab while not as loaded with amps/cabs and effects it is a awesome unit, I use both as desktop units and alternate them in a Atomic Reactor.
Both have floor models (The Vox Tonelab Floor model was just updated and
The Podxt Live (which I think has the model packs in them and Variax
Workbench) has also been upgraded to Podxt Live 3? The Podxt is now
also a Pod 3.0 or Podxt 3 lots of features including running two rigs at once.
Its on the front home page on Line 6.com
Best of Luck on your Decision Making! I would not rule out the Boss Units
either though I have only heard sound samples.(and not used either)
Peace
dwwave
September 29, 2007 @07:23pm
robertallen

I'd check out the Line 6 Pod X3 Live.
October 20, 2007 @12:57am