0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
NAMM Show Report

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

DAE error 9073 - RESOLVED by Defragging Hard drive

Fernando Ramirez

Every once in a while, I'll get the following error:
"DAE can't get audio from the drive(s) fast enough. Your drive may be too slow, or fragmented, or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to the extra firewire bandwidth or cpu load. (-9073)"
Sometimes, if I close the session, and then close PT (the latest version), and then wait a few minutes before restarting... then it works okay. Until the next time.
I purchesed the Creation Station Tower recently. I'm using the Digidesign 003 rack that I also bought from Sweetwater. I have the rack connected to the computer via firewire, and I'm recording using the CS's internal D drive... nothing else connected to the computer. No other external firewire drive. I have plenty of RAM, so that can't be the problem. I'm also bussing my effects to minimize the use of system resources.
Thanks for any help.
September 1, 2007 @08:00pm
tech1

Well...how full is your drive? You can check by right-clicking on a drive and choosing "Properties." Also, when's the last time you defragmented the drive? That may actually be the problem.
September 4, 2007 @12:50pm
Fernando Ramirez

I just bought the Creation Station about three months ago. My audio drive has plenty of space. I've got a total of 8.87 gigs in the Audio drive, and 140 free gigs left.
I just bought the CS about three months ago, and I've been getting the error pretty regularly. My workaround so far has been to close out the session, the application, wait a few minutes, and then start it up again.
The only thing I've done is that I had to install a wireless card. You absolutely need the internet to use the 003, since you have to immediately install the latest version of Pro Tools (my new disc was already outdated). You can't use this 003 system without the internet. You need it if you want to install all the free software it came with... it all has to be registered with the various companies. In addition, I had just bought some Waves plug-ins from Sweetwater.. the Musician's 2 ... and there's NO WAY to use it unless you go through the authorization process on the web. In addition, you need the internet for the ILOK process.
I did make the changes to my system that Sweetwater suggested... that turned off the Microsoft processes... so that the wireless card was truly "off" when I had it disabled.
Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.
September 6, 2007 @11:33pm
Fernando Ramirez

Well...how full is your drive? You can check by right-clicking on a drive and choosing "Properties." Also, when's the last time you defragmented the drive? That may actually be the problem.

I've not defragmented the drive. It's a brand new computer... 3 months old. I didn't think it would need it yet. All I did was place my PT sessions onto the drive.
I have done some recording/editing since then... but probably have only put in about 30 hours total on the system so far.
If I defragment it, will this mess up my audio files? I remember doing this on my old computer, and it messed up a lot of my ProTools files. I had to spend hours fixing the audio, and re-recording audio files that had literally "disappeared".
Knowing that it's still only about 3 months old... do you still recommend me defragmenting the drive?
Thanks for any help.
September 6, 2007 @11:37pm
tech1

Yes, defragmenting is still recommended periodically. You should also be keeping backups of all of your files, just in case there is some kind of error when defragging, or doing something else. If you defragment and everything disappears, then simply load in your back up files.
And by the way, even though you need internet access to register the Ignition Pack and Pro Tools, you do not need it on the computer you're using Pro Tools on. You can register, download updates, etc. on another computer, and then take the files over to the Creation Station using a removeable drive of some kind (Glyph firewire drive, USB thumb drive, CD, etc.).
If defragmenting doesn't help, then give us a call.
September 7, 2007 @12:29pm
Justin

I've never lost files during defragementation.
Fragmentation happens any time you use a drive. If you record a lot, it's bound to happen quicker...especially since audio files are large.
It's like your hard drive is a bookshelf. Picture your big audio files like a full set of encyclopedias. While it looks like one file to your system, it actually can be broken into chunks and put anywhere on the shelf. The optimal way to do this is to just put them in order...but sometimes there isn't enough room in one section, so the Operating System splits them up wherever they fit. This can cause the error you're seeing.
Defragmenting moves all the files around the drive to try to put them back in order and keep all the pieces together.
As for the wireless card, sometimes ProTools can have conflicts with certain wireless chipsets. If defragmenting doesn't fix the problem, you may want to try removing the wireless card and seeing if the error goes away. If it does, you're isolated the problem. If it doesn't, put the card back.
September 7, 2007 @12:59pm
Fernando Ramirez

I've never lost files during defragementation.
Fragmentation happens any time you use a drive. If you record a lot, it's bound to happen quicker...especially since audio files are large.
It's like your hard drive is a bookshelf. Picture your big audio files like a full set of encyclopedias. While it looks like one file to your system, it actually can be broken into chunks and put anywhere on the shelf. The optimal way to do this is to just put them in order...but sometimes there isn't enough room in one section, so the Operating System splits them up wherever they fit. This can cause the error you're seeing.
Defragmenting moves all the files around the drive to try to put them back in order and keep all the pieces together.
As for the wireless card, sometimes ProTools can have conflicts with certain wireless chipsets. If defragmenting doesn't fix the problem, you may want to try removing the wireless card and seeing if the error goes away. If it does, you're isolated the problem. If it doesn't, put the card back.

Justin: thanks for responding. I've read a lot of your posts over the last few months, and think you do a good job helping people.
My old PT system was a 001. I was recording on a drive that was partitioned... I found out later. So what I thought was a "D" drive was actually part of the "C" drive, and not a separate harddrive. This was what I ran the defragmenter on, and it screwed up a lot of my audio files within the sessions. Shortly after this, I bought an external firewire drive, and started recording to that. Never had any problems after that. After reading your info above, I think maybe I had that problem because I was recording onto the same harddrive that PT was operating out of, and I know now that's a no-no. Maybe this caused my files to become corrupted, or something.
I'll try defragmenting the "D" drive on my Creation Station now, and see what happens. Thanks!
September 11, 2007 @05:07am
Fernando Ramirez

Yes, defragmenting is still recommended periodically. You should also be keeping backups of all of your files, just in case there is some kind of error when defragging, or doing something else. If you defragment and everything disappears, then simply load in your back up files.
And by the way, even though you need internet access to register the Ignition Pack and Pro Tools, you do not need it on the computer you're using Pro Tools on. You can register, download updates, etc. on another computer, and then take the files over to the Creation Station using a removeable drive of some kind (Glyph firewire drive, USB thumb drive, CD, etc.).
If defragmenting doesn't help, then give us a call.

Thanks, Matt. I'm going to try defragmenting.
Thanks also, for the info about using a removable drive. I never thought about that, and erroneously thought I had to be connected to the net.
September 11, 2007 @05:08am
Justin

Glad we could help!
September 11, 2007 @03:04pm
Fernando Ramirez

Okay, I've defragmented the D drive (the audio drive) of my CREATION STATION, and used it for several days now. NO MORE DAE ERRORS!!!
Thanks, guys!
September 23, 2007 @06:55pm
solidwalnut

Okay, I've defragmented the D drive (the audio drive) of my CREATION STATION, and used it for several days now. NO MORE DAE ERRORS!!!
Thanks, guys!

Old thread, I know. But I thought I'd tell you that there are as many different ways of defragging/backing up files and disciplines on reformatting and reloading discs as you can think of, and I've found that many PT users chart their own waters on how it's done. Some swear that they would never trust the Windows defrag routine and some say they've been using it for years without any trouble.
Check out the duc forum and search for defrag methods and you'll have reading for a year. So, I did some research and am coming up with my own methods.
But just one thing I wanted to pass along was: for whatever reason the audio files become scattered on the drive quickly. One very good tip for optimization is to partition audio drives to smaller partitions. This way there's not as large a shelf space for the files to be spread, and it will improve your seek time and help with the -9073 errors.
Steve
October 14, 2008 @11:28pm
THStudios

To Whom It May Concern,
I recently began using Pro Tools (v. 10) and started having problems with "DAE error message 9073" as well. I went looking for answers and came across quite a few forums that all dealt with this issue. None of the easy fixes worked, and I currently can't afford to upgrade my hardware. I think I may have found an alternative fix for this. This error wasn't a HUGE problem, since it merely stopped playback, just an annoyance. Well, things got complicated when I tried bouncing to disc because; my session would start to play when I began to render it out, but shortly thereafter, this error message would appear, stopping the render. Try it again, same thing... again, same thing... vicious cycle. My computer certainly doesn't have stellar specs or anything (it's an HP Pavillion p6110y) and I hadn't defrag-ed in some time, but here's how I was able to solve this problem. First, select ALL of the tracks that you want to bounce (Shift-click for contiguous selections, Ctrl-click for individual selections). Now, you need to archive a copy of your session by; Going to, File--> "Save Copy In". When the "Save Session Copy" window comes up, make SURE that you ONLY select the "Selected Tracks Only" option in the "Items To Copy" section -- this should be the only option there that is selected (there's no need to make any other changes... unless you want a different sample rate or something. If so, now's your time to do it). Continue on to naming and choosing where to save it, and then save. Now, open the session that you just saved, hit Alt+O (that's Option+O for Mac), and this will bring up the Project Browser. Open up the "Audio File" folder and this will bring up all the clips in your session (this whole process isolates JUST the clips you want, so that, you're not having to deal with all of the redundancy so often found in the Clip List). Simply select all of the clips (Shift-click the top and then the bottom clips), and in the top right-hand corner, there should be a drop-down menu that contains the option to "Copy and Relink". Just click this, choose where to copy the files, and you should be good to go (be aware that it may take a few minutes for the files to do this). I hope that this helps, and if it does, just remember to pass it on. Note: this will mean that there's going to be multiple copies of those files on your drives, so you may want to go through and delete one of them at some point...
January 5, 2012 @04:50am
stevethompson

That sounds almost like a manual defrag for only the project at hand, with the added benefit of cleaning up scrap audio tracks, which would be a lot faster than a full drive defrag if you're in a pinch!
I usually set up Scheduled Tasks (usually weekly but could be whatever you want) to run defrags when the machine is otherwise idle.
To Whom It May Concern,
I recently began using Pro Tools (v. 10) and started having problems with "DAE error message 9073" as well. I went looking for answers and came across quite a few forums that all dealt with this issue. None of the easy fixes worked, and I currently can't afford to upgrade my hardware. I think I may have found an alternative fix for this. This error wasn't a HUGE problem, since it merely stopped playback, just an annoyance. Well, things got complicated when I tried bouncing to disc because; my session would start to play when I began to render it out, but shortly thereafter, this error message would appear, stopping the render. Try it again, same thing... again, same thing... vicious cycle. My computer certainly doesn't have stellar specs or anything (it's an HP Pavillion p6110y) and I hadn't defrag-ed in some time, but here's how I was able to solve this problem. First, select ALL of the tracks that you want to bounce (Shift-click for contiguous selections, Ctrl-click for individual selections). Now, you need to archive a copy of your session by; Going to, File--> "Save Copy In". When the "Save Session Copy" window comes up, make SURE that you ONLY select the "Selected Tracks Only" option in the "Items To Copy" section -- this should be the only option there that is selected (there's no need to make any other changes... unless you want a different sample rate or something. If so, now's your time to do it). Continue on to naming and choosing where to save it, and then save. Now, open the session that you just saved, hit Alt+O (that's Option+O for Mac), and this will bring up the Project Browser. Open up the "Audio File" folder and this will bring up all the clips in your session (this whole process isolates JUST the clips you want, so that, you're not having to deal with all of the redundancy so often found in the Clip List). Simply select all of the clips (Shift-click the top and then the bottom clips), and in the top right-hand corner, there should be a drop-down menu that contains the option to "Copy and Relink". Just click this, choose where to copy the files, and you should be good to go (be aware that it may take a few minutes for the files to do this). I hope that this helps, and if it does, just remember to pass it on. Note: this will mean that there's going to be multiple copies of those files on your drives, so you may want to go through and delete one of them at some point...
July 3, 2012 @10:31pm