0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June Giveaway - TC Electronic Bass Stacks
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

what equipment do i need to make beats

hey guys, i want to start making beats and i dont know what equipment is the best for me to start out with. do i need a mpc and a midi keyboard or just one of those? can i record from the midi keyboard directly in pro tools ,or do i need a program like Reason or FL? i was thinking about getting the m box mini to start out with because i am familiar with pro tools so i want to use that. im kind of in the dark on this one so if anyone has any info i would really appreciate it. thanks

So this is what I use and if money presents itself I recommend all of them.. Keep in mind that you could potentially master just one program and make $$$$ from beats... An MPC is not as important as you can do everything via the computer and record it directly on to the computer via rewire. The sounds can be loaded in battery for instance..

1. FL STUDIO
    2. Reason
    3. Ableton Live
    4. Torq
    5. DrumCore
    6. Battery
    7. Acid Pro (or Vegas)
    8. Trigger Finger or MPD24
    9. Mbox2mini (pro tools)

Scott Demarko
    Windows/Remix Forum Moderator
    Expertise in PC/Windows Software,
    Design & Video programs, Pro Tools
    on a PC, DJ Software/Hardware
    800-222-4700

1-800-222-4700 x1230
    scott_demarko@sweetwater.com

I use Reason and really enjoy it's drum machine / sampler. I hear Native Instruments Battery is also good. Treznor prefers it as well.
    Force Effect
    Original Underground Electronica
    http://www.forceeffect.com

Hello!

First of all, I would recommend that you don't simply run out and grab a bunch of equipment/software. You really can make beats, and good ones, without spending thousands of dollars. I've produced beats on several nationally distributed projects, and I've done it all with virtual instruments, a virtual drum sampler and Pro Tools LE.

Here's what I have:

1. Pro Tools 8 and the M Box 2
    2. Native Instruments Battery 3 (drum sampler) - you can get this for around $100 (beats the heck out of spending $2000 for an MPC)
    3. East West Libraries (virtual Instruments) - "Goliath" is the most versatile with a wide variety of instruments, drums, etc. EastWest is one of the more expensive (Goliath was $695), but there are many others out there that are less expensive and still high quality. Kontakt is one to look into.

Then I have a set of studio monitors and a set of headphones.

I used to have all "Machines" (i.e. the Roland 2480 24 Track Digital Recorder, the Triton Studio and the MicroKorg synth board), but I spent over $4500 for all of that. With my current setup, which is a lot easier to use and frankly makes better beats, I've spent under $1000 on the Recorder/Sequencer (Pro Tools), Drum Sampler and Midi Keyboard (to play the virtual instruments).

While you're getting started making beats, here's a great video tutorial on some industry "secrets" that the pros use to make their beats commercially successful: http://tinyurl.com/yg5o7fx

i have pro tools 8 and Reason. I normally use reason for drums but I've also used boom (new in pro tools - didn't care much for it) and Xpand believe it or not.

I'm going to pick up ezdrummer because, well... I want something easier! ... Lot of people seem to like it, I've watched the tutorials... and it's only $149 - which is comparitively cheap to other options. I can then add on expansion packs as budget allows later on. which I think are like $70 a pop or so. (I don't see myself ever needing more that 2 of the expansion packs, possibly 3 max).

PS - ezdrummer would simply be a plug-in addition to your pro tools instruments... if you do go for the mbox. good luck.

I use Superior Drummer into PT8. Superior SOUNDS AWESOME and it's only $ 300 +/- . In fact, my band comes into the studio and the drummer plugs our Electric kit into the Midi port on my 003 and uses Superior to rock out with! It's pretty cool! There are also a bunch of great MIDI grooves in there. I also have KitCore and it's good too- the "grooves" are really good and you can uses these with Superior to get a really great beat going.

Music Producing Software

This is a good question.

Superior Drummer is a good option, and is well priced at around $300

There are some other lower cost options. I have included some detail here on my blog: http://www.makeyourbeatsonline.com/h...ucing-software

Its critical to ask questions and speak with other DJs and producers to hear their opinions. Also, check in with other musicians who are producing music similar to the sounds you want to produce.

Also, be sure to look for equipment that has an MP3 exporting capability. This is an important feature that will allow you to quickly distribute your beats on iTunes and other platforms.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Rolo
    http://www.makeyourbeatsonline.com
    http://www.twitter.com/ProBeatMakr

There are many beat software that you can use to make your own beats.

But please make sure they have these features:

1: 16-track sequencer (not an 8-observe sequencer)

2: Individual volume control (for every of the sixteen tracks)

3: BPM Management (to control the tempo of the track)

4: Easy Export Possibility (a minimum of exportable to mp3 so you'll be able to burn the tune or upload it, etc.)

---------------------------------------------------

Make Beats - Beat Maker

to RossLaehn & ProBeatMakr
    Exporting your beat to mp3 is a bad decision, the quality drops dramatically to ensure a small file.
    You should export your beat to .wav file, this guarantees you have the best quality produced. You can always convert it to mp3 using http://www.beatmakingsoftware.net/wavtomp3.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Beat Maker

Maschine would be a great start or BPM with an MPD. If you have $1000 just buy an MPC1000. What kind of music do you want to make?

Carson McClain
    Sweetwater Sound
    800-222-4700 x1302
    Carson_mcclain@sweetwater.com

Quote Originally Posted by carsonduke View Post
    Maschine would be a great start or BPM with an MPD. If you have $1000 just buy an MPC1000. What kind of music do you want to make?

Carson McClain
    Sweetwater Sound
    800-222-4700 x1302
    I utilize Native Instrument Maschine which now integrates with Komplete 8.
    The creative juices flow when your banging out a beat on Maschine.

Quote Originally Posted by carsonduke View Post

Carson McClain
    Sweetwater Sound
    800-222-4700 x1302
    I utilize Native Instrument Maschine which now integrates with Komplete 8. The creative juices flow when your banging out a beat on Maschine.

Native Instrument Maschine is definitely one of the best that I've known. But its quite expensive tough. If you are just starting up why not go with some software to make beats. It could much cheaper and you'll be able to sharpen your skills more easier
    -Music enriches life, embrace it-

Quote Originally Posted by prakasaa View Post
    Native Instrument Maschine is definitely one of the best that I've known. But its quite expensive tough. If you are just starting up why not go with some software to make beats. It could much cheaper and you'll be able to sharpen your skills more easier
    Native Instruments has come out with Maschine Micro which sells for $349.00.
    My goal was always to have the best sounding beats out there.
    In addition you can integrate NI Komplete into the Maschine platform.
    It's all about work flow and great sounds.

Use which ever software or hardware that you know best. I'm currently using Ableton Live and samples that come from NI Battery and Live's drum racks. NI Maschine looks really cool. If I were to buy something new for beats, I'd try Maschine.