rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Why is the e SATA port not working on my creation station ?

aXe

bought a Western Digital My Book Premium ES Edition drive
bought a 6ft eSATA cable
cable fits perfectly into HD and eSata port on the back of my CS DUAL RACK 3.0
Win XP Pro reads it usuing a usb port but not through the eSATA port
Hmmm...BIOS setting?
please let me know
Thank you
August 25, 2007 @08:06am
Justin

Did you boot the machine with the eSATA drive attached?
Most motherboard's SATA host controllers don't yet have full support for hot-plugging eSATA. Try booting with the drive attached.
Also, I don't think that eSATA provides power for the drive. You may need to plug the drive into a power adapter.
I didn't find much in the motherboard manual about their eSATA implementation. I do know that we've found it to work flawlessly with the Glyph Quad interface drives. It runs much faster than Firewire or USB2.0.
August 27, 2007 @01:53pm
donburnet

I'm having the same problem with two different drives not being recognized by the eSATA port of my Creation Station CSR-1. One drive is NTFS, the other FAT32. Both work when plugged in via USB or firewire. I've tried plugging them in with the computer off, still nothing. Both drives are plugged in to power. I'd really like to use the eSATA connection as I've heard it's fast but it's not working for me.
October 24, 2010 @11:42pm
Justin

Call our tech support at 1.800.222.4700 x 6400.
I'm guessing we may need to fiddle with BIOS settings for your drive to show up.
Also, E-SATA doesn't provide power, so you will need to have your power brick plugged in.
October 25, 2010 @02:48pm
donburnet

Spent some time on the phone with Dave from Sweetwater tech support. He walked me through making a couple changes in the BIOS. Also, had to re-install the driver using the ASUS motherboard CD (always good to keep those accessories handy). The eSATA port is now working like a champ. Transfer rates seem to be about 30-40% faster than with USB. Mission accomplished!
Nothing like free tech support with a 4 year old product! Thank you, Sweetwater!
October 27, 2010 @07:19pm