0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Presidents' Day Sale!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Motu 896 Os X Drivers

soulengine

Does anyone have any information regarding when MOTU is expected to release Apple OS X drivers for the MOTU 896 audio interface?
August 24, 2002 @01:09pm
BradLyons

We do not know at this point. But IMHO, I would not count on using OSX for sometime still as you need to make sure that ALL hardware for Audio, MIDI, your programs as well as plugins will not only has OSX drivers... but actually work properly on it :-) I think OSX will certainly have some big advantages, but I would also just be patient about using it as well. We have been encountering many issues with OSX still on various hardware and software.
August 24, 2002 @01:12pm
plastic

Seems like everyone is having problems (manufacturer level) on OS X. I know I should not say this, but it seems like only EMagic will have the advantage over the others to get a headstart since they are in the Apple family.
Hope they do a good job in starting a totally amazing level of stability in music production on OS X. I am using FCP3 on OS X and the difference, in stability, coupled with Dual Processors are simply mind blowing!
hope this advantage on OS X will be made available on OS X soon!
August 24, 2002 @07:57pm
soulengine

Ok, now I have Logic Audio platinum for OS X and it LOOKS amazing. I can't listen to it, of course, since MOTU has yet to release even a beta 896 firewire driver for os x. I would have rather had them work on supporting existing hardware instead of releasing their new 1296 MK3. Do we really need another SCSI-based interface from them right now? I now could be working entirely in OS X (Reason 2.0, Live, Logic) but am stuck waiting for the 896 firewire driver for X. Very disappointing. ; (
September 4, 2002 @04:20pm
BradLyons

It will happen in time, but not yet :-) OSX is a very big change... it will take most manufacturers quite some time still. Look at the PC side of things and how long XP has been out, still many products do not support it yet.
September 4, 2002 @04:23pm
soulengine

Brad...indeed patience is probably the best thing we can all practice right now. It's tough when things seems so close, though. Don't get me wrong, I'm not whining about not having firewire drivers for my audio interface...I'm just a bit stumped.
Why do you think audio software (and hardware) developers arrived so late to the OS X game when video developers seemed to arrive only 'casually late'? I would think developing software for video (codecs and the like) would be be much more involved and would take more time than only audio. Is it a question of resources (manpower and capital) or software companies working relationships with Apple?...or a combination of both?
September 4, 2002 @04:38pm
BradLyons

Why does it take so long to develop audio hardware and software for operating systems? This is simple.... STABILITY. Video games require different code than audio software. It's easy to re-write code for a game, but it's a whole different can of worms in the audio industry. If your video game locks up, you just re-boot the machine. But if your audio system locks up, you get quite angry and upset. I talk to plenty every day that want to be on the front lines of the latest operating systems and hardware. Personally, I am highly against it.... unless you do like to be a Beta tester :-)
September 5, 2002 @02:12pm
soulengine

Brad,
By video, I meant video post production software, like Final Cut Pro, Apple DVD Studio Pro, BitVice MPEG-2 Encoder, VCD Copy, DiVx 5.0, QT 6, iMovie, Cinema Tools, et. al. I was referring to how much more involved and complicated it must be to produce software of this nature versus producing software for professional audio - particularly the MOTU 896 OS X firewire driver (a considerably smaller "application"). Hence, the stability argument probably doesn't apply here since it is technically more involved to stream and process video (huge files) over audio. (relatively small files)
For a small project studio like mine, It's worth the risk to be experimenting using brand-spanking new software for X. Ableton Live, a key program in my set up, performs rock-solid, as does Reason 2.0. I've yet to experience any lock ups (system crashes) in either of these programs. As for Logic Audio Platinum, I'm still experimenting with it - the program itself is rock solid so far - in fact considerably more so than in 9. Of course my audio drivers are confined to Apple Sound Manager - which is about as unprofessional as you can get. So, for a small studio like mine, there's no great risk and I dont' feel like I'm on the front lines (as a pseudo beta tester) at all. I think there is also something to be said about the quality assurance (QA) now applied to OS X applications from software developers. Companies (like Emagic) are really refining their software, allowing lengthy and ellaborate beta testing before their gold versions are released to the public...really minimizing the potential headache involved in transitioning to a new OS.
With regard to video games, most pc game developers are excited about the prospect of spending a third of the time porting games to a Unix based system then developing them from scratch. It now takes them weeks instead of months to develop a mac version of a pc game. So at least we have that to look forward to. ; p
September 5, 2002 @03:07pm