0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

A forum for audio cables....

elwoodblues1969

Normally,I would just assume that this topic would be covered in the Control Room forum,but no one wanted to hear of it.
Audio cables can make or break a studio & I think Proco encapsulated it best when they stated that no one really pays any attention to cables until they break down and cause problems.
For example,what is the point of putting forth all of your time,energy & effort in choosing the ideal monitor,mixer & instrument while also making a considerable investment and then only to negate all that by not doing research & thus also investing what you need to, to do your set up justice.
Audio cables are such an integral part of the process which determines how well you can achieve an accurate mix-by avoiding sound degradation and interferences and yet,it seems to be the last thing on the list for some people.
The Sweetwater forums are the most proactive forms I have ever been involved in,so what's the deal with audio cables on this site?
June 19, 2007 @04:54pm
5454stevef

Normally,I would just assume that this topic would be covered in the Control Room forum,but no one wanted to hear of it.
Audio cables can make or break a studio & I think Proco encapsulated it best when they stated that no one really pays any attention to cables until they break down and cause problems.
For example,what is the point of putting forth all of your time,energy & effort in choosing the ideal monitor,mixer & instrument while also making a considerable investment and then only to negate all that by not doing research & thus also investing what you need to, to do your set up justice.
Audio cables are such an integral part of the process which determines how well you can achieve an accurate mix-by avoiding sound degradation and interferences and yet,it seems to be the last thing on the list for some people.
The Sweetwater forums are the most proactive forms I have ever been involved in,so what's the deal with audio cables on this site?

For some reason, the topic of cables in general, the market segment of super-expensive stuff in particular, and whether certain claims consist of snake oil, etc. has been a very bitterly divisive topic - even on this forum, which is one of the most civil I've been involved in, I've seen discussions of some of these matters degenerate into a couple of people each more or less insinuating the other is an idiot.
Maybe most of the forum participants would just as soon not open the can of worms. At some point, after participating in a few of these kinds of things, you simply say, "ok, he hears the difference, I don't, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist"... or the opposite. There are intelligent, knowledgeable people on both sides of those kinds of debates, who hear what they hear and have come to their own conclusions and prefer to let others do the same.
SF
June 19, 2007 @08:34pm
elwoodblues1969

...Steve,
I grasp your points,but the fact of the matter is,is that it's not just cables,but a wide variety of products that can cause heated debates.
A prime example would be-the s**tstorm that ensued in the Control Forum about the Adam A7's-just because of my strong praise with these monitors.
I have done more research on monitors,than any other electronic device in my life & I tried to explain some fundamental principals & patented technology that are characteristic of the Adam company to support my love of a monitor that I had yet to hear in person.There is only just so much of subjectivity with regard to monitors,but some feel compelled to dismiss,or split hairs against all the articles ever written,all the professional endorsements & every customer who displayed thier positive reviews toward the A7's.
I have never seen such a visceral response and prolonged,heated debate over a monitor that I believed in so much.
I really dropped a nuke-of-a-subject & caused such a ripple,that I even irritated a moderator or two-and over what,exactly?
I would not be surprised if I inadvertently caused a drop in sales in that product,because some people will refuse to buy those monitors just out of spite.
I suspect my presence on these forums is no longer desired & perhaps I am better off just speaking to sales reps if I want input and as for my efforts to help people,I may as well become a Sweetwater sales rep-then maybe my input might count for something.
June 20, 2007 @02:50am
Tarktones

hmmmm.... interesting.... *notes pattern*
March 2, 2008 @09:23pm
Rad

hehe, this seems to follow the prediction!
April 25, 2008 @10:08pm