0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
April 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

questions on Roland VS-1880

insolence

I was planning on either buying an 8-track and a separate mixing console, or, from advice, a Roland VS-1880. The only thing is I don't really know a lot about the 1880. Does anyone know what exactly it'll do, its quality, etc? Please help me out if you can. thanks
July 22, 2002 @01:14am
iqi616

I've not used it myself but I know at least one happy Roland user.
Take a look around, there are lots of competitors. I went for the Korg D1600 over the Roland and the Yamaha AW4416/AW2816 and the Akai DPS16. The Roland was dropped from the list because I couldn't find a softcopy of the manual to download and study.
There's a new Yamaha AW16G on its way. See http://www.aw4416.com/e/16g/index.html
Take your time choosing. If you do opt for separate equipment, don't buy a digital recorder that does not offer virtual tracks.
July 25, 2002 @03:05am
chulio

I used the roland for about a year and finally gave up. the updates outdated the manual right from the start. the support was good(live person on the phone in minutes) but I should have had the basics in the book. After many hours of research I purchased a Korg D1600 and I am in the process of selling the Roland
Jimi
September 1, 2002 @07:12am
paggre

I have the Roland VS1880. This was my first recorder of any type. I found the manuals very informative and was able to start recording the first day. The quality is outstanding. I have produced 5 projects and everyone has been more than happy with the results. I would definitely recommend it to anyone from a beginner like me to a pro who wants a good mobile recorder. I have read of many artists using this on the road and then using some of the tracks on the final productions. Good luck on your decision.
September 3, 2002 @11:43am
Rene

I have the 1824 CDRW and am quite pleased. The sound quality is very good. I would wax more poetically, but haven't heard any of the other systems and feel at a loss in terms of comparisons. It is 24 bit, has 18 tracks, and 8 inputs. I did one little song on CD and the sound quality was very good. It took several hours to get the hang of the controls, and I still haven't edited any effects, but I find it very easy to record, overdub, add effects, and tweak the pan and eq. :D
September 8, 2002 @11:37pm
holethang

I have the Roland VS1880. This was my first recorder of any type. I found the manuals very informative and was able to start recording the first day. The quality is outstanding. I have produced 5 projects and everyone has been more than happy with the results. I would definitely recommend it to anyone from a beginner like me to a pro who wants a good mobile recorder. I have read of many artists using this on the road and then using some of the tracks on the final productions. Good luck on your decision.

Wusup bro I was wondering if you or anybody out there knows if its possible to burn tracks from the roland 1880 in the form of wavefile to cd and then load them into protools to manipulate indivisual tracks and finish your mix inside protools?
July 19, 2010 @09:53am
Andrew_Malloy

Wusup bro I was wondering if you or anybody out there knows if its possible to burn tracks from the roland 1880 in the form of wavefile to cd and then load them into protools to manipulate indivisual tracks and finish your mix inside protools?

If you call Roland's Recorder support, they should be able to walk you through exporting the tracks.
Digital Recorders and Mixers: 323-890-3741
July 19, 2010 @01:18pm
Rschultz

I have an 1880 some of the effects have a line through it any idea why this is happening ?
February 2, 2014 @04:19pm