0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Whats the best bass string

Maverick

There are so many strings to choose from these days, I could use some advice to narrow the field. I am an old school player and like a clean sound with no noise or buzzing from the strings. I play a PRS Bass through an Ampeg SVT-4Pro head at 1200 watts with an Ampeg 610 cab. I like a dark sound but one with an edge to it that can cut through the rest of the band. Also, I predominately use a pick rather than my fingers as I like a little more definition on my string attack. Any advice I can get about strings and string guages will be most helpful.
June 12, 2007 @12:08pm
GibsonJ50

This is really subjective, and you can get a lot of different theories about which bass strings sound best, overall. For the past year or so I've been using Fender nylon wrapped strings on a Jazz Bass. The tone is a little darker, and you don't get the string noise from sliding across roundwound strings. It works for me, but the old Jazz Bass probably deserves a lot of the credit for the tone.......... good luck....
June 20, 2007 @09:18pm
BassBubble

I find that GHS Boomers are good for many styles. They sound great fingered or picked. They aren't dark sounding out of the box. They are pretty bright. I have 2 of my basses strung with them. I have a Schecter model-T and a Fender P-bass special. I leave the boomers on FOREVER. Old strings do sound a little darker and the boomers even when old still do a good job of cutting thru a live mix. Gauge dedends on preference. I use 65-105's
June 26, 2007 @01:15am
4stringaxeman

I use D'Addario flats on my fretted bass
and Fender tapewounds on my fretless.
July 21, 2007 @02:26am
bob anderson

if you want consistaent soung i'ts easy erny balll pink or yelllow. I always choose a bright sound and used the ball orange... but even then
wound up changing stringe every night... if you have the coin.. pror fitted swing bass strings are the best
rotosounds.. buy you have to order the perctucular ones for your bass
July 25, 2007 @11:27am
santini

i use ghs boomers on all my basses
i have a 89 vester and 2- sr405 5 string ibanez
weather in studio or live gigs the boomers cut though the mix qutie well
with some age they tone down from binging so bright
i have tried in the past the following
rotosound
ice blue
elixer
and too many to list
i have found that the ghs boomers work every time for what ever music app your into
weather its folk music or thrash metal you cant go wrong with ghs boomers
viva la ghs!!!
July 29, 2007 @01:44pm
multibassman

Personally to me the best flatwounds are Thomastik Infield flats J344, as far as roundwounds, depends on what kind of bass you are stringing and what kinda tone your trying to achive, I use on the basses I have strung with round wounds,ghs flea signiture set on my 60th anniversary jazz bass, D'addario 170's on my schecter c4xxx, D'addario half rounds on my Fender power jazz bass, D'addario 170's on my epiphone eb3,all my ricks except my 06 minightblu 4003 have Thomstik Flats on them I use the rickenbacker rounds on my 06 midblu 4003.
September 26, 2007 @03:23am
4stringaxeman

Personally to me the best flatwounds are Thomastik Infield flats J344, as far as roundwounds, depends on what kind of bass you are stringing and what kinda tone your trying to achive, I use on the basses I have strung with round wounds,ghs flea signiture set on my 60th anniversary jazz bass, D'addario 170's on my schecter c4xxx, D'addario half rounds on my Fender power jazz bass, D'addario 170's on my epiphone eb3,all my ricks except my 06 minightblu 4003 have Thomstik Flats on them I use the rickenbacker rounds on my 06 midblu 4003.

Multibassman I totally agree that Thomastik Infield Flats are very good strings but I cannot justify the cost considering that pretty much all flatwounds I have used last forever.
I have found a website that sells nothing but strings and are very good strings IMO Give them a try you will like them almost as much as the Thomastik at a fraction of what thomastiks cost.:)
http://webstrings.com/
September 26, 2007 @03:39am
robertallen

On my Ernie Ball Stingray 5 I use nothing but Elixir Nanoweb Strings (.040-.125). I love the constant bright new tone that I get out of them for well over a year of playing them. Of course if it's too bright, I just adjust the tone on my bass or Ampeg SVX.
October 20, 2007 @12:59am
kator

I use Warwick black Label strings (made of stainless steel) because they sound good and are usually about $25 for a five string set (in Canada). Most other brands are usually around $30 to $45. Also, they last just as long as the high end strings like DR and Ken Smith etc.
November 2, 2007 @08:53pm
Shdggsdv

Id say mine is definatly the Rotosound rs88s nylon flatwound short scale strings... I play a 1966 Hofner 500/1 and sounds perfect... gives a sortof pop at the bgining of tha note and then has a softr sustain but completely amazing tone... btw if u wanna hear an example of what they sound like id say u shud just go on youtube and listen 2 tha bass closely in tha song come together by the beatles... mccartney used tha rotosound 88 nylon strings in this too and they r still made tha same but might have slightly less of tht "pop" at tha begining cuz iv noticd my hofner has always had tht a lil bit but it just sounds amazing... most beautiful sound for a bass... also they sound completely amazing on more modern basses too... iv got a crappy ibanez model of a bass tht i tried out with these strings and they made a crappy sounding bass sound beautiful... evry bass iv tried with these on has amazing tone perfect for soft classic and modern rock evn metal... they work for jazz and pretty much evry other kind of music othr thn country... altho how would i know?... i dont evn like country... just not my kinda music... no offense to any1 who reads this
May 6, 2010 @11:02pm