0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
#WinYourWestones

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

My Studio Setup..Advice Needed

Danmaxito

Hey guys,
I need a little advice as I am setting up my studio.
So Far, I have the following:
Apple 3.0 Quad Intel Mac - 1gig of ram, but I will be getting 5 more gigs
2 Apple 23" HD Cinema Displays
1 Samsung 22" Display - which I am selling to get another Apple 23"
M-Audio Trigger Finger
M-Audio Axiom 61
M-Audio Microtrack 24/96
Numark TTX1 Turntable
Ableton Live 6
Digital Performer 5.1
Komplete 4
Symphonic Orchestra
and much much more Virtual instruments... too many to post here.
Things I have on my list to get this year:
Apple Logic Pro 7
Mackie hr824 MK2 Monitors
-------- Subwoofer
--------
Mackie Big Knob
Mackie MCU Pro
Access Virus (Synth)
Nord Lead 3 (Synth)
Mini Moog Voyager (Synth)
and more...
Here are my questions:
1. Should I get:
- a Digi 003
- a Motu Traveler
- other ideas ?
and
2. What Subwoofer should I get:
- KRK RP10S Powered Subwoofer
- M Audio BX10s Powered Subwoofer
- Tapco By Mackie SW10 Active Subwoofer
- other ideas?
!!! Thanks in advanced for your help !!!
Danny
May 1, 2007 @06:36am
wfhscoyotes

What does your budget look like? Do you want to go with ProTools (the digi 003) or does it matter? (and if you go with ProTools, why buy logic?)
I dont see any mic pre's on your list so i'm guessing you want mic pre's with whatever interface you buy, correct? How many tracks do you intend to record at one time?
May 1, 2007 @12:09pm
Smithcok

I think you need to figure out what your ultimate goals are and then decide on equipment.
For example, you have 3 DAWs listed either in the "have" or "want" piles. I would pick one and stay with it. Plus, you have tons of sample libraries and Komplete 4, but then are buying a bunch of hardware synths. Also, are you selling your one monitor to get a third apple display? 2 will definately suffice.
Also, are you doing any recording, or just MIDI/sample stuff? I would suggest getting at least some sort of mic cabinet if you have any chance of needing one.
What do you want to be able to do in your studio. You can probably save yourself a lot of money and extra equipment by narrowing your gear into stuff that you know you need.
May 1, 2007 @04:26pm
Danmaxito

@wfhscoyotes -
What does your budget look like? - About $10,000 a year. But I do not always use it all.
Do you want to go with ProTools (the digi 003) or does it matter? - It really does not matter at this point. I heard Motu is better at Midi than Digi, but I am not positive on that. I had a Motu 828 before, but never a digi 002. At the moment, I produce Trance, Hip Hop, Pop, Techno, Electronica, and remix. Eventually I want to record bands and stuff. I was planning to get the Motu Traveler, and then when I am ready to move on to recording bands, I would get the Digi 003. Thats why I have Logic on my list.

you want mic pre's with whatever interface you buy, correct?
Yes
How many tracks do you intend to record at one time? For now, not many.
@Smithcok -

you have 3 DAWs listed either in the "have" or "want" piles.
Yes, Ableton Live 5 came bundled with the M-Audio Trigger finger, and ableton gave me the upgrade to 6 for free.
I purchased Logic Express a while back, and this year I was either going to get DP5.1 or upgrade to Logic Pro 7. I ended up getting DP5.1, and I am not really liking it (maybe it's because I am used to Logic). I am planning to sell my DP5.1 and use the money from that to get the Logic Pro 7 Upgrade.
you have tons of sample libraries and Komplete 4, but then are buying a bunch of hardware synths. I owned Access Synths since they came out (I upgraded each time). When I moved to PA from FL, I sold everything and I am now buying everything back.. Same goes for the other 2 synths.
The NI Komplete 3, ReFX Nexus and Vangaurd where gifts from my wife. NI gave me a free upgrade to Komplete 4. These soft-synths are amazing..and from there I purchased a few more from other companies.
are you selling your one monitor to get a third apple display? 2 will definately suffice. Yes, I am selling the Sumsung for another Apple one. My full-time job involves a lot of video editing (Final Cut Pro, After Effects, etc).
Also, are you doing any recording, or just MIDI/sample stuff? A bit of both. MIDI for the most part. I do want to record some good high quality vocals.
I would suggest getting at least some sort of mic cabinet if you have any chance of needing one. Any good suggestions?
What do you want to be able to do in your studio. At this point, I just want to be able to produce my own Trance/Techno/Remix music, with the ability to record some vocals, guitar, bass, whatever, individually at anytime I need.
Like I mentioned earlier, I want to expand later on down the road to a bigger Recording studio. But I want to start small, especially since I will be starting classes in Berklee this July.
Thanks in advance!!!
Danny
May 1, 2007 @10:02pm
Smithcok

Well, you have a big budget.
Have you considered selling some stuff off/not getting some stuff and getting a protoolsHD system? That is a system which will be super expandable and very powerful.
If you go MOTU, I would get a PCI-424 card and an interface or two (like the 2408, 24i/o etc). You can expand this setup quite a bit too.
I would go ahead and pick a setup and stay with it though, rather than switch to digidesign later.
EDIT: The main reason being that you will get comfortable with a DAW, and probably not want to switch and have to get resituated. Plus having to switch hardware.
The MIDI in protools is just fine. Ive been a MOTU guy for awhile, but am now heavy into PT, and the MIDI transition wasnt bad at all.
If you are running a lot of sample libraries, I would suggest building a windows box and running some libraries off of that. Plus, having extra computers run your libraries saves years of loading times.
May 2, 2007 @01:25pm