0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Using outboard sound modules with Reason sequencer?

soundcloset

Hi
Hope all is well. Anyone know how to get Reason 3 to send MIDI OUT info so it's possible to trigger outboard sound modules? I'm using a MIDISport 1x1 USB interface with Reason. I've checked all the obvious with no success. Thanks, mck!
April 19, 2007 @03:28pm
Smithcok

I havent used Reason in awhile, but I am fairly sure that you cannot do that.
Reason doesn't route audio, so even if you could send MIDI out, you wouldnt be able to bring it into the mixer in Reason.
What you can do, is use Rewire to have your DAW and Reason interact. Then you can easily make MIDI tracks in your DAW that will send data to your sampler and then bring the audio back in.
What sort of setup are you using (software, interface, sampler, etc)
(Or, If I am wrong, someone correct me)
April 19, 2007 @05:59pm
soundcloset

Hey
Thanks for the reply. I'm using Reason 3.0 on Windows XP - audio coming out through an audio interface into Pro Tools analog an a Mac. I'm using an older version of Pro Tools so I can't use Reason and Rewire it as a plugin.
I'm aware the MIDI isn't audio, I was just curious how to get Reason to send MIDI OUT signal to another external hardware sound module. Then I could go out of that module analog audio into Pro Tools as well.
I tried controlling Reason's samplers with another hardware sequencer and got tons of stuck notes and such. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, mck!
April 19, 2007 @06:45pm
Smithcok

Yeah, I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure you can't send midi out like that.
Anyone know for sure?
April 19, 2007 @07:08pm