We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Outboard processing on computer recordings

infraterra

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering how to connect outboard sound processing such as dynamics, and effects to a computer sound card and then using said device on a recording? For clarity I'll give a concrete example. I like the sound the Aphex Aural Exciter provides and would like to incorporate that sound into my computer recordings. Is there any way to do that? Any and all examples would be helpful. Thanks.
March 17, 2007 @10:17pm
djmoose

Well, first of all, you're going to need a sound card with more then 2 outputs and more then 2 inputs because you're going to have to route the sound out, through some gear, and back into your DAW.
Now, if you want to do live mixing with outboard gear, then you'll need Logic Pro or Cubase because they have dedicated plugins that allow this (which compensate for all latencies automatically)
Otherwise, if you just want to bounce a single track through some gear, you pretty much route it out and back into your soundcard and manually adjust the resulting track for the latency.
March 18, 2007 @08:25am
Smithcok

Or if you have 10,000$ you could get a pro tools HD system
If you have stereo output and inputs, just run the outs to the device, and then back into the ins. You will have to print stuff to disk (you wont be able to leave the unit live and make changes, you will have to record the effect in throughout).
If you had an interface with multiple outputs, that would simplify the problem.
March 18, 2007 @09:38pm
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!