0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

DJs - Who are you?

Adejai

Does Sweetwater really have DJ customers?
Who are you?
What type of DJ are you?
What type of gear do you own?
Do you remix or produce your own music?
If so, what type of music?
March 12, 2007 @03:11pm
scottdemarko

Q. Does Sweetwater really have DJ customers?
A. Lots. Everything from small just getting started guys, to super producers.
Q. Who are you?
A. Scott Demarko AKA DJ TREND (sales @ Sweetwater for 3 years, 10+ years as a remix artist/DJ/Engineer)
Q. What type of DJ are you?
A. House, Acid Jazz, Remix, Trip Hop, Hip Hop, Turntabilist.
Q. What type of gear do you own?
A. Several keyboard controllers, Trigger Finger, MPCs, Triton, Old Emu boxes, 6 turntables (numark, stanton, technics)
Pro Tools - 002 Control Surface, Blue Tube Pre, several eq's
Mics - (Vocal booth with several AT mics, C1mic, neumann)
Serato, Torq/Conectiv, Ableton Live, Reason, FL STUDIO, Acid Pro, (and tons and tons of other virtual instruments)
I have a ton of outboard DJ effects, TC Electronics D-Two, EFX500, Korg Kaoss Pad, etc. I mostly use vinyl and digital gear such as Torq for my live gigs, (along with keyboards, mpc, etc)
Q. Do you remix or produce your own music?
A. I produce, record, and remix the entire sound in my home studio. Everything from the guitars on the track, to the bongo drums, to the vocalist. I have several different singers come in and an inhouse engineer who also produces, records, remix's everything using a variety of virtual instruments within pro-tools, Live, etc. He is really really good, and he also works here at Sweetwater, but he would never consider himself to be a DJ in the traditional sense. I guess you'd call him a Live PA instrumentalist, or electronic producer. (Forrest Powell is his name)
Q. If so, what type of music?
A. Same styles as I DJ. House, Acid Jazz, Remix, Trip Hop, Hip Hop, Turntabilist. (Mashups combining rock or hip hop with electronic and vice versa)
Good questions.. I have a new site launching in about 3-4 weeks with a bunch of my tunes on it... www.djtrend.com
The studio is called TrendsKitchen and there will be pics up at www.trendskitchen.com also in 3-4 weeks...
I'd love to see how others respond to these questions. Other than the first one asking about Sweetwater, these are great questions to get to know the other artists on this forum.
March 12, 2007 @03:49pm
dreamseed

I produce and I work in the Sweetwater marketing department. Even before working at Sweetwater, I was a customer, specifically for my electronica production efforts. You can preview my music here:
http://www.dreamseed.us/products/phenex.php
My first purchase from here was a Korg N364, which I still have to this day. In fact, I used it to produce that entire album. I will definitely be getting more gear from here soon to continue creating music. My style is anywhere between drum'n'bass, industrial, downtempo, ambient, trance, house, and big-beat. Sort of a kaleidoscope of all of those. I've been compared to Fluke with a dash of Underworld, for example.
Cheers,
Xander Davis
April 25, 2007 @03:10pm
Altrn8

Thanks again Scott for the tips with Torq. I have switched, totally digital library now.
Fedex however hates you, since I am no longer shipping 3 crates of Vinyl everywhere.
I spin mostly house. I don't limit myself though, music is music. I have been in a club since 1990. I deal with supporting Avid and Digidesign on a daily basis, so I don't produce..unless I need to tweak a song ;-).
June 27, 2007 @02:39am
scottdemarko

nice......
June 27, 2007 @01:00pm