rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev
0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Going Rate for session bass player

Yellow Snow

Hi everyone,
This is my first post on this forum so please bear with me.
My question is this. What is the going rate for a session bass player (live performance) under the following conditions.
I have been asked by a New Grass band that has one record on the shelves and one on the way to perform live on a regional level (5 state region). I will be responsible for my own instrument, amp, stage attire, etc. They have agreed to provide lodging and to negotiate travel expenses with me. They will be performing at fairs, fesitvals, and as an opening act for established artists. This is simply a "hired gun" scenario where all that I would be asked to do is perform live. I would not be required to be a member of the band or to participate with the songwriting, at least not at this point.
Does anyone have enough session experience to shed some light on this for me? I'd like to know what is fair in the sense of travel expenses, pay rate, meals, and and other "hidden" expenses that may arise that I haven't thought about. It has been awhile since I have been faced with this situation and I am wondering how things are done now as compared to 10 or 15 years ago.
May 31, 2002 @05:12pm