0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Choir Mics

fidelity freak

Hi Guys... i need to select 8 cost effective CONDENSER microphones suitable for live Choirs. Help me! Please, dont comment if you "are madly in love with AKG since you started singing". No brand loyal freaks! I wanna know WHY i should take your tip!:), and the justification for your suggestion! Thanks!
February 8, 2007 @10:41pm
jpleong

Are you reinforcing live sound or recording? And what do you mean by "cost effective?"
Everything listed has a pretty neutral sonic character.
for live sound:
Shure SM-81 (a de facto standard)
Shure PG-81
AKG C1000 (with hyper cardioid attachment)
AKG C900 (same capsule as the C1000 but can be found for cheaper)
Studio Projects C4 (cardioid cap or hyper cardioid cap)
RODE NT-5 (cardioid cap)
Crown PCC-160 (designed specifically for theatre sound reinforcement)
Sennheiser e914
Sennheiser me64 (or its predecessor, the me40, if you can find it)
for recording:
Studio Projects C4 (omni cap)
RODE NT-5 (omni cap)
Studio Projects B3
RODE NT-2a
Sennheiser e914
Sennheiser me62 (or its predecessor, the me20, if you can find it)
and the lists could go on...
JP
February 9, 2007 @06:33pm
fLiPaudio

i have been micing children's choirs for years...school recital type stuff...
I have had lots of success with a blen of octava012's and sm81's
February 9, 2007 @07:19pm
fidelity freak

By cost effective i mean i need to buy 8 of them for a gig! Now id luuurrrrv to buy 8 AKG c414's, but clearly that aint happening yet! So far the most consistent suggestion seems to be the sm/pg 81. I guess this is the best bet.
Out of these four options, which would you suggest - in order?
KSM109
KSM27
SM81
PG81
Thanks
February 9, 2007 @09:35pm
jpleong

I've not used the KSMs you've mentioned so I can't rate them. The SM81 is clearly better than the PG81 in every category except price.
Why eight? Again, are you using these for sound reinforcement or for just recording a live performance?
I know the NY Phil engineer likes to use only one mic per section (this is just recording, not reinforcement) and then it's an omni mic usually.
If you're doing a reinforcement gig, the more live mics you add the MUCH greater chance you'll have to deal with feedback. Each mic you add will lower your gain-before-feedback ratio by three dB. Not to mention the extra phasing issues...
If you're going to do eight SM81's, that's roughly the same cost as four C414 XLS's which, in my opinion, are a heckuva lot more versatile mic -especially live (hyper cardioid!). Using less mics can yield more results in many situations.
JP
February 9, 2007 @09:50pm
Ted

I actually prefer the KSM109 to the SM81...I've never listened to them side by side so I can't say for sure, but to my ear they were a little more neutral than the '81...
-Ted
February 13, 2007 @04:28pm
robertallen

I agree with the SM81's. Used them on my last few choir sessions...they are great! I actually use them as room mics for drum kits and they haven't disappointed.
February 22, 2007 @12:58am
Dave Burris

By cost effective i mean i need to buy 8 of them for a gig! Now id luuurrrrv to buy 8 AKG c414's, but clearly that aint happening yet! So far the most consistent suggestion seems to be the sm/pg 81. I guess this is the best bet.
Out of these four options, which would you suggest - in order?
KSM109
KSM27
SM81
PG81
Thanks

This would be the order I would pick:
KSM27
SM81
KSM109
PG81
Just remember that the KSM27 is a side-addressed cardioid.
March 17, 2007 @10:02am
michaelhoddy

I'd hit the KSM-137 before the SM81 (have both) Less noise, more natural, smaller, and similar price.
March 17, 2007 @05:26pm