0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

What are the best headset mics for singing?

whcog

I am looking for a good wirsless headset mic for use in a church worship band, and for speaking. I am not crazy about having a large foam ball in front of my face. Is something like the Countryman a good option?
February 5, 2007 @04:38pm
howlingwolf487

There are a number of companies out there with very nice-sounding headsets. For singing, the Crown CM311A is the standard (correct me if I'm on) and can be bought so it can be made wireless.
Crown CM-311A/E - http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/mics/102546.pdf
-- the A/E has unterminated ends for adapting it to a wireless system.
I know you said you don't want a big puffball in the middle of their face, but this could be solved by mic placement. You can get a perfectly fine sound just moving the mic element position around a bit - even if it's not a tiny element like the Countryman or DPA ones have.
I personally don't know how well a Countryman or other similar headset mic would do for singing, but speech is very clear and clean through it (so long as placement is correct).
http://www.countryman.com/ - click on Products and see what they've got.
Also, a Sweetwater sales rep could point you in the right direction...
[to other posters] - If I've left out anything, feel free to add...
February 5, 2007 @06:41pm
karlw

The best headset mic I've used (as an engineer, not as a singer) is the DPA 4088. It's a cardioid pickup condenser and it's quite small. Their headset design stays put and is fairly easy to adjust. And DPA has an array of adapters to connect this headset to just about any wireless out there. The comments I've received from singers and other audio people when I've used this headset are universally positive.
-Karl
February 15, 2007 @03:37pm