0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
#WinYourWestones

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

connecting guitar to computer (for amplitube,guitar rig, etc.)

laundrysoap

I got a Squier strat pack a couple years ago, and, having absolutely hating the tone, I never bothered to even try to learn to play. Now I want to play but still hate the sound. My theory is that if I like my tone, I will want to practice, and computer modeling would be cheapest.
What can I use to connect my guitar to my computer for use with modeling software, for as cheap as possible?
EDI: FWIW I would consider a floorboard that connected to the PC(and in fact it would be preferable so I could control effects) but I have no MIDI ins.
January 27, 2007 @11:13pm
evan_ccs

Guitar Rig 2. $499. It comes with an interface/controller combo.
I've never used one, but I've heard great things about the hardware side of it, and I love the software part of it too, though there is better modeling.
January 28, 2007 @01:12am
laundrysoap

While that would be a good option IF I had $500 , I only need something to connect the guitar into the computer so I can sculpt my tone.
January 28, 2007 @02:52am
TommyGunn

I bought a cable called a lightsnake for $40. It has a USB connector on one side, and a "siamese" quarter inch on the other. You plug one end into the PC and the other into the guitar (in my case, pedalboard). It is horrendously noisy through headphones, but it records pretty well
January 28, 2007 @09:44pm
evan_ccs

Ah, I'm sorry I misunderstood.
Yeah, I think something like the light snake (there are a couple things like that, too, check them all out) is a good choice. I have heard similar things in regards to TommyGunn's noise comment. I guess that recording quality isn't important when you're just trying to learn, so playback might be important, which is why I would suggest looking carefully at all the things similar to the light snake.
January 30, 2007 @04:32am