rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

The Cuban Bass Project

hushnel

This may be inappropriate but I’m just busting at the seams on this one. I’ve included the address of my web site concerning this project that I have been working on since late January. This is my first attempt at building a bass so it just might be beginners luck. The sound of this Cuban Mahogany is just fantastic with a growl that I’ve never heard in another bass. Feel free to criticize, the thing sounds so much better than it looks. Page 5 and 6 show the finished bass.
The Cuban Bass Project
May 9, 2002 @10:51am
hushnel

Well, I felt that I should build a bass that I was familiar with. One of the reasons is; that I have one to take the measurements off of. The P Bass has been my main bass since 1981 and a dream before that to about '63.
I've spent a good part of my life learning how to use my hands and have made guns, knives, cabinets, a boat, etched glass, worked leather, carved leather, worked in ceramics, built ships in bottles, cut out coins, made baskets and making the tools needed for those projects. Generally working with as many types of material as I can.
Music is responsible for much of this. It taught me that if I could focus and practice then I could achieve the results I desire and this while I was very young. It taught me my limitations too, and that if I worked within the boundaries of those limitation I could achieve magnificent results. OK, I’ll never be Victor Wooten but I kick *** as a Duck Dunn. I am happy within my limitations. All the skills and talents I have achieved may very well be coming to a focal point, this point may be making bass guitars, I hope this is the case. The thrill of this achievement is like nothing I’ve experienced before. My next project is on the drawing board and it will not be a P-Bass :)
May 10, 2002 @12:03pm
hushnel

Dude, I knew you were joking. My plans are to continue making basses developing skills and techniques till I find my limits then settle into improving that which I can do.
Mike
May 10, 2002 @05:42pm
Dr.SixString

Hey Hush, yor mahogany P bass looks great, let me know if you wanna build one for me.
Dr6.
July 16, 2002 @02:20am
hushnel

Dr.SixString
Thanks for the offer, I hope to be able to do just that, build basses for fellow bass players. I am in the process of building my second bass. It will not be a copy of Leo’s famous instrument but one I’ve designed on my own. At this point I am not confident that I can repeat the success of my first “Cuban” project. My plan is to see how the design goes over and sell it. At that point I will have some working capital to acquire the very expensive Cuban Mahogany, maybe enough to make 3 or 4 instruments. At that point I would be open to custom designs or standards like the mighty P and should be confident in my bass building enough to deliver a high quality instrument.
I have a full time job and in the evenings I take care of my handicapped daughter so my wife can go to work. On Friday nights I practice with some new musicians and weekends I am dedicated to my family. The Cuban took me about 35 maybe 40 hours total but almost 4 months to complete. I hope to devote more time to building as I can but please keep me in mind. My eMail is posted on my web site. I still need to determine pricing also, I’m getting a lot of positive response from bass players who have tried it.
Mike
July 16, 2002 @10:51am
Dr.SixString

Yeah great, you have all of my support and good luck with your new project.
Greetengs to you and your family,
Dr6.
July 17, 2002 @02:01am
DrPop

Looks like a nice piece of gear.
May 27, 2003 @03:21pm