rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Triton LE

Keymanone

Does anyone know if the Korg Triton LE workstations are any good? Thinking of buying one just wanted to try to get some input on them. I will use them mainly just for the live performances in a Reggae band. Hoping it has great horns and pads.
Thx Keymanone
April 29, 2002 @11:50pm
Roland

The Triton LE has great sounds and is an excellent live play keyboard. The pads and brass are very good!!
May 1, 2002 @12:32am
Bob

For Reggae music where you want a lot of horns and pads I think it would fair very well. It's a lighter version of the Triton, so if your not needing a "workstation" keyboard, but just a board with great sounds and some programability, the TritonLe is a very good choice.
May 7, 2002 @03:01pm
Roland

Just in case you're curious, the LE doesn't have the sampling that the Triton Classic and Triton Studio have. Sampling is a nice feature for getting realistic horn sounds. The LE doesn't support the MOSS synthesis expansion board or the Korg EXB PCM expansion boards like the Triton Classic and Triton Studio do. It only offers one insert effect per program as opposed to 5 insert effects per program on the Triton Classic and Triton Studio. The keys are made lightweight to make travel easy for gigging. The LE doesn't feature the famous Korg touchscreen.
You can add the sampling option to the LE and also add SCSI to make loading from sample CD-ROM's easy.
May 15, 2002 @06:21am
Keymanone

Thx for the input Roland very usefull
May 15, 2002 @09:38pm
Roland

You're welcome. Also the Studio offers resampling from the keyboard which is a big plus if you run out of FX or sequencer tracks using combis in your sequence.
Bob may help me on this last one, but from what I can tell, the Studio has more polyphony than the LE or Classic Triton. The Studio has 62 voice poly from its internal sounds, plus another 62 from its piano ROM right out of the box. If you then add additional EXB PCM boards to the Studio, they get to use the ROM allocated to the Piano ROM, so you still get the 62 voice poly from the internal sounds, but you also get 62 voice poly from the Piano ROM AND/OR the EXB PCM ROM's. That's pretty cool, because now you have a 124 voice poly keyboard.
Not only that, but when you consider the typical 128 voice poly keyboard, like that offered by Roland, you have to divide that number by 4 to get the real poly if you're using the typical 4 part/tone sound in Roland's architecture. That means that with full tone sounds, you only get a 32 voice poly board, not a 128 voice. With the Triton Studio, the fancy sounds are double mode sounds and use up two voices of poly, so the first 62 internals become 31 poly and then the up to 8 EXB ROM boards (including piano) offer another 31, so you get a true 62 voice poly board.
My understanding from reading the Triton Classic and LE manuals is that they are both 62 voice poly in single mode and 31 voice poly in double mode, thereby making them effectively offer half the polyphony of the Triton Studio.
Bob, I'm pretty sure I'm right on this but I'd love to hear what your Korg rep says if you don't already know for sure.
May 15, 2002 @11:29pm
Roland

Hey Dr. Groove,
I just read the review on the Triton LE. It was nice, but shouldn't it mention that you can't add the MOSS and EXB expansions, the resampling, the differences in the number of available insert FX, differences in max number of programs and combis (over 3,000 in the Studio and 800 as you pointed out in the LE), the sample RAM max difference 64MB vs. 96, the different action, etc. I think that might be helpful in giving people an idea of the differences between the different Tritons. I see so many people posting in forums saying that they're exactly the same except for the CDRW, that I think it would be really helpful to point out some of these differences.
Don't get me wrong. I think the review was great. I'd just like to see some more of these nuts and bolts differences pointed out. I'd also like to see someone clarify the polyphony issue for me (see post above).
Maybe someone could suggest that Korg create a comparison chart on its site similar to the one Access provides on its site for the differences among the Virus B and C and XL lines. Just some suggestions. Keep up the great work. :)
May 15, 2002 @11:37pm
Keymanone

I guess since we are comparing anyway....what limitations does the studio version compare to the le's since the studio version doesn't have smart media capabilities. Do you use the cd burner to do the transfers? The fact that the LE can't be upgraded with the extra expansion boards troubles me a bit. This makes me lean a little more toward the Triton workstation or studio models...but my budget may not permit :(
May 16, 2002 @09:44pm
Roland

That's what store credit is for!! :D But seriously, you have built in SCSI standard with the Studio, so that gives you tremendous access to cheap storage media if you have or buy a cheap CD burner. For, I think, $400 list you can add the built in burner which is a real timesaver and also saves you from having to cart around the extra external burner. Given the capacity of CD vs. SM card, I think the Studio wins here too. Don't rule out the Triton Classic. Sweetwater probably still has some of these available and they may price in your budget and give you the extra features that you want without the extra expense of the Studio. Ask Bob about that. :)
May 16, 2002 @11:28pm
Roland

Hey Doc, yeah, I know the multiple product line thing can be difficult when reviewing. My biggest comment here is that I don't really want to have to hyperlink all over the place when reading a review to be able to glean all the salient info. I want it all right there in the review. Otherwise, as a reader, I feel like the review team didn't want to take the time to integrate everything into one place. The In Session reviews are a great and welcome feature. If they could integrate more tightly with your other offerings I think they would be more valuable to all of us and save you from having to try to keep two or three separate link pages in harmony and up to date and save us from jumping back and forth to be sure we're not missing anything. In any case, whatever you decide I appreciate the availability of these features. :)
May 16, 2002 @11:32pm
Bob

The Triton family all share:
16 track sequencer
programs - 2 oscillators per sound architecture)
Combis - layer, split, velocity switch 8 sounds
32 MB wave ROM
48K sample playback rate
Triton LE:  (61 and 76 key) no 88 key
No EXBPCM ROM expansion
No EXBMOSS expansion
62 voice polyphony
4 outputs
FX structure - 1 insert FX, 2 master FX
Sampling optional (EXBSMPL) comes with 16MB, expands to 64MB
Lump in the line AC supply
Fatar keyboard
no touch view display
Smart Media storage
Triton Classic:  (61 and 76 key) 88 key discontinued
2 EXBPCM ROM expansion slots
EXBMOSS expansion slot
62 voice polyphony
Sampling includes 16MB, expands to 64MB
6 outputs
FX Structure - 5 insert FX, 2 master FX
Power supply built into unit
Touch View
Disk Drive
Triton Studio:  (61, 76 and 88 key)
7 EXBPCM ROM expansion slots
8 program banks dedicated to the expansion slots
EXBMOSS expansion slot
processor speed 6 times faster than Tritons
120 voice polyphony
Sampling includes 16MB, expands to 96MB
Resampling from any mode
In track sampling, allows audio to be added to tracks
5GB internal drive
Disk drive
6 outputs
FX Structure - 5 insert FX, 2 master FX
Touch View
Power supply built into unit
optional CDRW - burn audio CDs, data back up, play CDs, load AKAI & .wav
files from sample, rip audio from audio CDs.
Optional additional outputs - mLAN, ADAT optical I/O
TritonStudio 61s and 76s are shipping now!  The tritonstudio 88's are due in late June!
May 22, 2002 @02:17pm
brokentoys

a kurzweil would better suite you i think as it is the BEST at realistic instruments(HORNS ECT) IMHO
May 31, 2002 @08:01am
NickVilla

How do I layer sounds on a triton LE? I am tech challenged.
February 24, 2014 @02:06pm
Synthologist

Everything is explained in the manual.
If you don't have the LE manual, you can download a PDF copy from the Korg website.
February 25, 2014 @07:18pm