0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

good clean marshall tone

reefus_01

I own a marshall JCM 800 head(early 90's model I believe) and it's great when I'm using distortion, but when I try to get a straight clean tone I get feedback and hum. I run my guitar through a Morley Wah, BOSS Metal Zone, I-Banez flanger/chorus, and a BOSS GE-7 Eq. I've played with all the controls and can't seem to get rid of the hum without turning the volume way down(and I don't have it that high to begin with). I know marshalls aren't known for their clean sound, but does anybody have some tips or anything to help me out?
April 23, 2002 @08:36am
R Whittington

Hi Reefus,
First thing I'd try is to see if there's a problem that can be isolated to one of the components. Try (just for the time being) plugging the guitar straight into the amp and see if the hum is still there. If it is, then you can be pretty sure that there's a problem with the amp (tube?), guitar, or even the cable. If the problem is no longer there, one at a time add the pedals into the equation. As you're adding pedals and cables..the problem should come back and it will the pedal or cable that was added last.
The only other things I can think of is maybe there could be a grounding problem with your electricity...you could try your rig at a friend's house, and if the hum isn't present..you know you should have an electrician come out and troubleshoot your AC.
There can also be accumulative noise build up between that many floorboxes, although my experience has been that noise is more of a hiss than a hum.
April 23, 2002 @02:36pm