0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 5

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

do noise cancelling headphones work?

crashkahuna

I was just wondering about anyone's experience with these. Do they really work to block out background noise and how expensive do you need to go to get any results? This is not really a music question. Just trying to get some sleep at noisy hotels when I'm on the road. Thanks.
November 9, 2006 @04:27pm
DAS

Sorta...the good ones work pretty well overall. Not all sounds are cancelled equally so the effectiveness depends a little on the specific environment. They tend to do better with broadband noise than sudden, sharp sounds, or low frequency sounds. They work well for the din of noise you encounter on the inside of an airplane cabin in flight, for example.
November 9, 2006 @04:52pm
Justin

I'd think that most canceling headphones would be uncomfortable to sleep in.
You might want to see an audiologist about getting some fitted earplugs.
They'd probably be easier to sleep in.
November 9, 2006 @06:08pm
dpd

go with the fitted earplugs. They are incredibly effective if you are a light sleeper. Just keep them clean after use.
Noise-cancelling headphones can do wonders, but as DAS says, better for broadband and continuous noise sources. Most of the ones I have used aren't anything one could wear to bed.
November 9, 2006 @11:07pm